Author Topic: How reliable/safe are these Ford powered Intermeccanica Italias?  (Read 802 times)

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
I run into these occasionally...sort of a poor man's ferrari. Price are all over the place, a real clean one goes for 70K/ there was an indian health guru in   calif. a few years back who owned one and then he went bust when sued by a contingent of his female customers for unwarranted touching, Forgot his name but don't know where all his cars (50 or so) went. I think his creditors found only 20 of them.

Craner

• View Profile
Re: How reliable/safe are these Ford powered Intermeccanica Italias?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 03:50:14 PM »
The early cars (1967s) had Ford: Stock Complete 289hp, Top Loader Transmission, and 8 Inch Rear Axle Assys. So that part is bulletproof.
The other components I can’t speak for. It does have a hybrid mixture of parts from many different manufacturers as I recall. Somewhat difficult to source..
The body being all steel is prone to rust, especially the rocker area.

Used the Torino name in some of the paperwork and badging. 
I believe later cars had 351s

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 05:41:43 PM »
I run into these occasionally...sort of a poor man's ferrari. Price are all over the place, a real clean one goes for 70K/ there was an indian health guru in   calif. a few years back who owned one and then he went bust when sued by a contingent of his female customers for unwarranted touching, Forgot his name but don't know where all his cars (50 or so) went. I think his creditors found only 20 of them.

Too much innuendo in the way you post makes me believe you are fishing for information for a new book or online article and you do not want to quote the proper sources, just say "you read it on an online forum" waiting for others to do your homework for you. Maybe I'm in correct, but maybe I'm not.

In the mean time, try here
https://intermeccanica.com/history/

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 07:47:55 PM »

Too much innuendo in the way you post makes me believe you are fishing for information for a new book or online article and you do not want to quote the proper sources, just say "you read it on an online forum" waiting for others to do your homework for you. Maybe I'm in correct, but maybe I'm not.

In the mean time, try here
https://intermeccanica.com/history/

+1

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 11:05:02 PM »
Bill,
Not to fret, as a new book, kind of like a SAAC history book has been written in Italy and is for sale.
New and interesting books are always nice, see your point !
I chipped in a bit, my Italia with its serial number, color, build date etc is in the book, as well as all that were built.
Maybe 200- 250 came to the US, >>>  numbers are argued.
Holman and Moody, Mark Donahue, Ford, Griffith and other played parts.
Nothing cheap about the Prancing Bull.

An engineered exotic, in short;
50/50 weight distribution.
Engine and trans offset 1 1/2 inches to right side to compensate for the driver.
Ford 289, 302, 351W and later 351 Cleveland
Ford top loader,
Ford radiator and electrical in motor bay.
Full drag link with panard bar ford 9 inch rear end
Ferrari or Jaguar 4 wheel P disc brakes, Ferrari side lights
68 on cars had a fuse box just like Pantera or Mangusta.
Early cars had shelby style Magstars, later had 66 shelby magnums, some with Camponara wheels? sp
Dash is much like an early Jaguar XKE, all stemmed toggle switches and Intermeccanica script gauges.

Most say that the 275 Ferrari Nart swb Spyder and the Italia are like brother sister cars.\
Its brother-en is 2-3 million though.
It is argued that Bod Cumberford<< US designer sketched it out, and then Scaglione polished it to his taste before final build.
To my best, the last three that have sold : not concourse, 165,000, 185,000, 200,000. St Louis, BAT and Mecum, 60K fpr a complete non running project at Fantasy junction or another Ca big boy I believe
Coupes that are rusted in half bring roughly 35-60K
I got to do business with Alex Trebec because of Italia;s.

You knew you would drag me out Bill !!!!!
John

« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 11:10:56 PM by Harris Speedster »
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 08:18:50 AM »
Bill,
Not to fret, as a new book, kind of like a SAAC history book has been written in Italy and is for sale.
New and interesting books are always nice, see your point !
I chipped in a bit, my Italia with its serial number, color, build date etc is in the book, as well as all that were built.
Maybe 200- 250 came to the US, >>>  numbers are argued.
Holman and Moody, Mark Donahue, Ford, Griffith and other played parts.
Nothing cheap about the Prancing Bull.

An engineered exotic, in short;
50/50 weight distribution.
Engine and trans offset 1 1/2 inches to right side to compensate for the driver.
Ford 289, 302, 351W and later 351 Cleveland
Ford top loader,
Ford radiator and electrical in motor bay.
Full drag link with panard bar ford 9 inch rear end
Ferrari or Jaguar 4 wheel P disc brakes, Ferrari side lights
68 on cars had a fuse box just like Pantera or Mangusta.
Early cars had shelby style Magstars, later had 66 shelby magnums, some with Camponara wheels? sp
Dash is much like an early Jaguar XKE, all stemmed toggle switches and Intermeccanica script gauges.

Most say that the 275 Ferrari Nart swb Spyder and the Italia are like brother sister cars.\
Its brother-en is 2-3 million though.
It is argued that Bod Cumberford<< US designer sketched it out, and then Scaglione polished it to his taste before final build.
To my best, the last three that have sold : not concourse, 165,000, 185,000, 200,000. St Louis, BAT and Mecum, 60K fpr a complete non running project at Fantasy junction or another Ca big boy I believe
Coupes that are rusted in half bring roughly 35-60K
I got to do business with Alex Trebec because of Italia;s.

You knew you would drag me out Bill !!!!!
John

John,

Yes, I knew of the book, as you and I spoke about it last winter, and yes, I knew you would eventually stumble across this thread  ;) .

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0