Author Topic: 1966 GT350 Carry-Over for sale UK  (Read 3569 times)

7777kx

• View Profile
1966 GT350 Carry-Over for sale UK
« on: August 13, 2022, 01:18:08 AM »
For any interested forum users, the 66GT350 #240 is currently for sale in the UK.
I imported this car to the UK via my old friend Bill Collins for it current owner. Together we undertook a very long, detailed and correct restoration of the car and the owner has used it sparingly since being completed.
Very extensive USA history with paperwork and its a high integrity vehicle with hundreds of restoration pictures to verify the work undertaken.
All numbers matching, engine, transmission, differential etc...no questions/issues.
Car is at the UK Dealers "Furlongers" who are based in Ashford, Kent.The retail price is £230K Sterling.
I would be happy to answer any questions for interested parties on its background and work undertaken.
I have no tie-up with the selling dealer, just helping the owner, who has become a good friend..............
Thanks Alan

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
Dave - 6S1757

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 GT350 Carry-Over for sale UK
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 12:03:21 PM »
Love the fuel line installation. Especially the plastic line going to the interior. #s matching diff is a real plus.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

7777kx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 12:30:56 PM »
Thank you for putting the link of the forum, very much appreciated.

The car has its original extra Super-charger gauges mounted under the dash, hence the plastic pipe in the bay, feeding one of the gauges.

The transmission [aluminum T10] and differential are correctly dated, fully in-line with the build date of the car. 

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 01:02:48 PM »
Are you sure this is a carryover car? Sure seems to have some 1966 non-carryover parts.
I'll let the experts comment.

7777kx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 02:04:23 PM »
Thanks for your post, as the car is #240...it can only be a Carry-Over, verfied by Bill Collins.

A known US history, again verified by some previous and known US owners.

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 02:12:32 PM »
Thanks for your post, as the car is #240...it can only be a Carry-Over, verfied by Bill Collins.

A known US history, again verified by some previous and known US owners.

A carryover with backup lights?

https://carryovergt350.com/index.php/unique-features/

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 02:49:37 PM »
Are you sure this is a carryover car? Sure seems to have some 1966 non-carryover parts.
I'll let the experts comment.
Late in the carryover run. All the production 66 parts/changes may have been coming into use? Unless what you have spotted are changes to the normal 65 car as supplied by Ford.
I've always considered "numbers matching" to refer to VIN or partial VIN codes that were stamped on chassis and parts. Proper date codes tell a different story since it could refer to parts the car was not born with but are of the correct time period. Of course once you mention date codes the whole sheet metal, glass and other parts come into the discussion.
If it were my car I'd use copper or stainless line for the fuel. those plastic lines are notorious for failure and leakage where the ferrules compress the line. I'd also make sure it wasn't rubbing on the distributor.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

7777kx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 03:29:23 PM »
Thank you so much for your detailed response.
You are quite correct in your definitions of a cars correctness, we try to follow the same ethos here in the UK.
Those of us involved with Shelby cars try our best to follow the lead of the US SAAC restorations as they will always have better access to detailed information. However we do speak to many of the best known judges who have, in my experience, been so kind and helpful to allow us to do a better job by imparting what they know.
I can confirm all the chassis stampings are original and correct to the car, along with the stamped numbers in the block.
Again the main date coded components do correspond to the cars build date but of course as you say, could have been changed in the past.
Once the old black paint was stripped from the shell, the car showed the most Factory correct body pieces i have come across on a Shelby, of course bearing in mind i only have 45 years direct experience, i would never claim to have the expertese of many of the US long time Shelby guys. I could have easily missed a very fine detail only they would know.
But every detail was photographed and any relevant number noted for future reference.
It is a great car in my humble opinion and was a great joy to help the owner restore it.

tomhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 01:29:54 PM »
Was my car, and sold to Bill Collins. I diidnt own it very long. Very nice car. If I remember right the paxton was black not blue. Had a Hipo toploader but I found a proper aluminum T-10. No doubt it is a carry over. Have owned 2 carryovers 165-240 both had backup lights. Like that when purchased by me, Nice original Paxton gauges. I remember seeing the car on Jim Cowels website and at the time was offered to trade for an original 289 Cobra. I did check serial #s they were all correct and present. Hope this helps a future owner. Is one of my regrets after letting it go.

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 07:45:24 PM »
The research I’ve done indicates that the 250 non-prototype carryovers were originally built without backup lights. That was ascertained from a combination of the DSOs, some of the 1966 GT350 planning meeting notes, and period photos of actual cars.

Of the two prototypes, 6S001 has been presented without backup lights for many years now. I assume that’s correct for that car. And 6S023 has disappeared, so we don’t know about that car.

Several of these cars have had backup lights added at some point in time. And if that suits the owner I certainly have no complaint.

Steve Sloan

tomhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2022, 08:30:25 PM »
The window sticker that came  with 165  stated backup lights as an added option. Also 2 mirrors and a dash clock. I think every dealer option should be a plus for a car. Was a dealer demo for Marshall Ford.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2022, 11:32:19 PM »
The window sticker that came  with 165  stated backup lights as an added option. Also 2 mirrors and a dash clock. I think every dealer option should be a plus for a car. Was a dealer demo for Marshall Ford.
Dealer options can be considered a plus depending on the option.  Many options are added by past owners to personalize the cars and not the selling dealer when new.  If reasonable proof is provided that the option was added  by the Dealer before it was sold new to the first owner then it is considered factory when being judged in concours. If reasonable proof can not be provided then the option is considered a past owner add on. The burden of reasonable proof is on the entrant or owner to substantiate . Reasonable being a key word. In this case back up lights may or may not be factory depending on if they were installed before the car was sold to the first owner when new or not. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2022, 10:07:00 AM »

That is a very interesting car.

I see mention in the Registry of The Marshal Motor Company adding alloy wheels, 2 outside rear view mirrors, radio antenna and dash clock. But no mention of backup lights. And adding those would have required replacing the rear valance panel. Not something I think a dealer would want to do. But the car wasn't sold to the original owner until 1967, so I suppose anything is possible.

Is the window sticker that you mentioned original? Could you post a copy of that window sticker? I'd love to see it, and I'm sure Howard will want to update his records if those backup lights really were dealer installed.

Thanks,
Steve Sloan

Bill Collins

• '65 GT350 006 owner since 1971
    • View Profile
1966 GT350 Carry-Over for sale UK
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2022, 10:28:46 AM »
Without weighing in on the discussion regarding 6S240 having backup lights from the factory, there is a plausible reason why the car was restored with them.

MOT regulations in the UK require that turn signals be physically separate from the taillight, they cannot be functionally combined using the same lens as in the US. Since 240 was restored in the UK, it was finished in compliance with this requirement. It is common UK practice to adapt the backup lights on early Mustangs to function as signals. This is the reason for the amber lenses in the backup light housings.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017