News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Motorcraft FL-1 oil filter

Started by crossboss, August 18, 2022, 03:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossboss

Guys,
What prices are you seeing for a Ford Motorcraft FL-1 oil filter these days?
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

rhjanes

$11
They are not just "always on the shelf" items anymore.  Last fall, I hit three auto parts store to get two FL-1A's and a 820-S for my '08.   
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Vcode

papa scoops

try the fl1 hp. i think they still make them. hipo version of fl1. same size

crossboss

Quote from: Vcode on August 18, 2022, 07:42:23 PM
$7.00 on Rock Auto

Correct...however, with shipping its more than Wal-Mart, or the local auto pats chains.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

67 GT350

How do you know what is being sold is Genuine ???
RARE  Signature Delete

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

crossboss

Thanks guys for the input...
Looks like Ford can keep it. Since this will go on my daily beater, Fram it is...for half the cost.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

OldGuy

Quote from: crossboss on August 19, 2022, 04:46:49 PM
Thanks guys for the input...
Looks like Ford can keep it. Since this will go on my daily beater, Fram it is...for half the cost.

Watch this video BEFORE you buy a Fram!

Frank

rhjanes

I would NOT get Fram.   
Go to NAPA and get their GOLD filter.  It's a great filter.
The cheaper big auto stores are also junk filters.  Sometimes their upper end house filter is decent.  Compare it to a Delco/Motorcraft and you will quickly see the differences in materials and quality. 

FL SAAC

Quote from: rhjanes on August 19, 2022, 08:01:55 PM
I would NOT get Fram.   
Go to NAPA and get their GOLD filter.  It's a great filter.
The cheaper big auto stores are also junk filters.  Sometimes their upper end house filter is decent.  Compare it to a Delco/Motorcraft and you will quickly see the differences in materials and quality.

+ 1
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Royce Peterson

The recent FL1A filters have different flats on the filter than the old ones. Looks like Ford has outsourced them to a different supplier.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

TA Coupe

Over the years in several oil filter tests by different people and places th cheap STP ones have come out favorably but it has been a few years. I have used them a number of times.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

rhjanes

Quote from: TA Coupe on August 20, 2022, 02:08:28 PM
Over the years in several oil filter tests by different people and places th cheap STP ones have come out favorably but it has been a few years. I have used them a number of times.

Roy
Filters change

I got a "oil Change Package" for my wife's Civic.  It was the Castrol Synth, and a STP filter.  I bought it.  But the filter, once out of the shrink wrap and I looked at it, was NOT a quality filter.  One crimp holding on the gasket, a cheap looking rubber flange, and the threads had burrs on them!  I cleaned up the burrs and used it for a few thousand miles and changed it all again, early. 
I am now in the habit of inspecting ALL the filters before I spend money.