News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Hipo z bar

Started by TLea, August 18, 2022, 07:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLea

Does anybody have a picture of 67 hipo z bar they could post?  Thanks

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TLea on August 18, 2022, 07:52:48 PM
Does anybody have a picture of 67 hipo z bar they could post?  Thanks
Here is a comparison picture . The one on the right is the Hipo Z bar. Congrats on selling your car .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Here is a side profile that shows the difference from another angle.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68blk500c

nice pics, Bob.  This piece was featured in Tony Gregory's HI-PO K book published years ago.

TLea

Thank you Bob. I got lucky, car has correct Z bar. It has headers so wasn't sure

TLea

Are they typically clear zinc like that?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TLea on August 19, 2022, 02:10:01 PM
Are they typically clear zinc like that?
Strangely compared to other year Z bars that were typically bare steel I have found more then several 67 hipo Z bars that were clear zinc which makes me believe that for what ever reason at least some of them were .

68blk500c

I have had two service parts over the years: both were zinc.  No first hand experience with those from factory.

TLea

Yes Don typically the service parts were always think. Has Bob mentioned other years tend to be bear steel which is why I questioned it but it seems like 67 it obviously could be either.  Maybe it was to give more protection to that beautiful welding job that they did on those LOL

brandosaac

I have an NOS 67 Z bar ( non Hipo) in clear zinc with ford sticker,
so maybe the over the counter stuff was in this finish

Bob Gaines

I have had many service Z bars over the years that cover many applications and they had a zinc finish. The typical assemblyline Z bar of the various years was bare steel. With that said as and I said before I surprising have found more then several 67 GT350, in fact many that were in what appeared to be from a unmolested context that still show evidence of zinc .It has been puzzling. The evidence that I have seen over many years and probably hundreds of 67 GT350's point to at least some that came from the supplier in zinc . I couldn't in clear conscience therefore deduct for zinc on a 67 GT350 application like I would on say a 67 -70 GT500 or other year GT350 applications application given my observations  over the years. Just me.

S412gofast

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 20, 2022, 01:35:37 PM
I have had many service Z bars over the years that cover many applications and they had a zinc finish. The typical assemblyline Z bar of the various years was bare steel. With that said as and I said before I surprising have found more then several 67 GT350, in fact many that were in what appeared to be from a unmolested context that still show evidence of zinc .It has been puzzling. The evidence that I have seen over many years and probably hundreds of 67 GT350's point to at least some that came from the supplier in zinc . I couldn't in clear conscience therefore deduct for zinc on a 67 GT350 application like I would on say a 67 -70 GT500 or other year GT350 applications application given my obsermvations  over the years. Just me.

Following up on this here are some pictures of the Z bar from our 67 GT350.  We covered it in acid and it did fiz (testing for Zinc), Zinc was fully removed and a red paint daub remained.
1967 GT350 01341, FORD Build: 2/28/67 ; SAI Build 3/28/67
1966 GT 2+2, 4spd, PS, tinted windows, Raven Black w/Black Pony interior; FORD Build: 10/11/65
1986 SVO, Oxford White w/Leather interior
1987 Saleen #132 Dark Gray Metallic

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0