News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1970 GT 500 Auto shifter handle set screw

Started by tahart, August 23, 2022, 11:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tahart

I need a new set screw for the automatic shift handle on my 70 GT 500. I just spent an hour at hardware store and we tried every size they had. Nothing would thread in. I still have my old set screw and it goes in fine. I want to try a longer one to firm up the handle. Anyone know what the correct size is?

papa scoops

if the set screw is bottoming out, a longer screw isnt going to work. maybe try a little piece of metal rod like coat hanger, maybe 1/8 inch long, put that in first, then the set screw, or try running a tap into the handle to extend the threads, test fit all first to see if it will even work, need to make sure you dont over extend the hole, and make sure the metal rod wort fall in  and jamb up the shifter. maybe a new handle? never tried it, but makes sense. phred

tahart

The set screw is not bottoming out. It's just not long enough to secure the handle tightly before it loses it's grip with threads in the handle. Hence, I was thinking a longer set screw, but I can't figure out what size it is. Nothing at the hardware store will screw into the handle easily.

The hole in the handle is threaded all the way thru, so its not a matter of taping further threads to extend it.

The shaft has a recess in it, where the set screw pushes into to secure the handle. Maybe it is worn a bit, but my set screw won't screw in far enough, without losing grip on threads in the handle, to secure the handle to the shaft properly.

tahart

And the answer is ..... 10-32 x 1/4". We were only trying 10-24 at the hardware store. Mine is a bit shorter than 1/4" and the new 1/4" one is the perfect length to hold the handle secure to the shaft and not protrude out of the handle.