News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

65-70 Shelby Autolite Sparkplugs

Started by Bob Gaines, August 24, 2022, 09:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Someone asked so I thought I would post for reference . 65-68 GT350 used BF32 from the factory . 69/70 GT350 used BF 42. 67 GT500 used BF 42 . 68-70 GT500 used BF32. The star symbol on the Autolite plug was typically seen on 65 through 67 . 68 -70 typically did not have the star on the Autolite plug. I hope this helps.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

Hi Bob,
A funny thing, probably a misprint, in a standard 66 Mustang Swedish Owner's Manual, I have had since the early 70's,
it states that the A-Code engine used BF32 instead of BF42.
Texas Swede

shelbydoug

I'm wondering if 67 Q codes installed in other vehicles used BF42's as well?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Guys I'd dump those BF42s and install some platinum or iridium plugs in there . Should last up to 100,000 miles. Longevity and reliability is key.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bob Gaines

Quote from: FL SAAC on August 24, 2022, 08:40:08 PM
Guys I'd dump those BF42s and install some platinum or iridium plugs in there . Should last up to 100,000 miles. Longevity and reliability is key.
I agree on different heat range or different material plugs for a driver however the purpose of this  thread is about info for which plug originally came in the cars and not the modern best alternative. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6R07mi

Bob, there were BF-32 & BF-42 plugs, non-resistor  and BRF-32 BRF-42 with resistor
did the Shelby products specify the non-resistor plugs?

as I recall the STD production Mustangs would have had the BRF  resistor plugs I believe to minimize the radio interference.
BF/BRF-32 wouldn't be used except in Hi performance (compression) engines, BF/BRF-42 RPO engines,  the BF-22 were "racing" only application.

I used to sell the BF-32 & BF-22 plugs by the gross to a bunch of Ford engineers who were racing back in the 70's when I worked at a Ford dealer in Dearborn.

inquiring minds..........

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6R07mi on August 25, 2022, 01:36:21 PM
Bob, there were BF-32 & BF-42 plugs, non-resistor  and BRF-32 BRF-42 with resistor
did the Shelby products specify the non-resistor plugs?

as I recall the STD production Mustangs would have had the BRF  resistor plugs I believe to minimize the radio interference.
BF/BRF-32 wouldn't be used except in Hi performance (compression) engines, BF/BRF-42 RPO engines,  the BF-22 were "racing" only application.

I used to sell the BF-32 & BF-22 plugs by the gross to a bunch of Ford engineers who were racing back in the 70's when I worked at a Ford dealer in Dearborn.

inquiring minds..........

jim p
Only BF 32 and BF 42 were used during regular production 65-70 Shelby's originally .

outlawincorporated

Bob Gaines

Quote from: outlawincorporated on August 25, 2022, 11:39:52 PM
image of original BF32 * versions
Thanks for posting. For those reading the picture shows a BF 32 STAR version Autolite sparkplug seen in 65-67 . The 68 up plugs do not have the star.

Rodster-500

I found some more information and pictures here:

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=9326.0

Thanks Bob and Dan.

Dan Case

If you go back to the mid 1950s this what BF32 parts looked like.

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

s2ms

Still trying to figure out how the plugs marked in the panel below fit into all this.  Plug marked 1a and 1b is the famous star logo plug.  Plug marked 2a and 2b has the same style lettering and font except no star logo, these also typically have a shorter electrode like the later Powertip plugs.  It makes sense these are a transitional plug but I've not been able to find any info anywhere on these, only seen very few sets over the years, including 1-2 sets of BF-42s.

IIRC Randy Gillis mentioned he remembered seeing these plugs in the late 66-67 time frame but can't find that discussion so assume it was on forum 1.0.

Dave - 6S1757

CharlesTurner

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Dan Case

Quote from: CharlesTurner on August 31, 2022, 11:34:39 PM
There's also a 3 rib version.

Sample packaging; this is not all of the versions before about 1967, just the ones I have collected.

Sample parts; this is not all the exact in small details versions made over a ten year span, just the three basic designs. 

Far Left: The Electric Auto-Lite Company original design.

Middle: The Electric Auto-Lite Company design in use when Cobras were created. Ford Motor Company made, sold, and used the same design. That means this version can be found in packages from both companies. This was the design installed by the Ford engine assembly plant building 1963½ and 1964 HP289 engines at least through August 25, 1964. I know about Cobras but Fairlanes and Mustangs after that I don't. 

Far Right: Ford Motor Company redesign to solve field service issue. I lost my copy of the Ford T.S.B. on the subject but owners were experience significant insulator failures (cracks) and subsequent current leakage (misfiring).  I wish I could find that T.S.B. because it, from memory, stated that the engine plant was going to continue using the three rib insulator plugs until supplies were exhausted. Dealers were instructed to replace original equipment three rib plugs with new improved five rib plugs if customers had any problems.  Surprise, new cars used one part and the service part sold another.  (Ditto BF42 spark plugs.)

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

cj750

My '69 Ford shop manual, page 08-08-04, shows "BF-32" for all applications of the 351-4V engine. My '69 Cougar owner's manual also shows "BF-32" for the 351-4V. But the '69 Shelby owner's manual shows "BF-42" for the GT350. Typo, or did Shelby really spec a different plug for the GT350? Seems unlikely, but I'm sure someone will enlighten me if that's the case.
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.