News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Still think C8 Corvettes are a good deal?

Started by shelbydoug, August 28, 2022, 09:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Well apparently many Chevy dealers think that they are too good, as witnessed by this screen capture of a Purchase Contract posted on Facebook.

I am in the the NYC vicinity and can state that even stock/standard C8's typically sell for sticker plus 10.

This does remind me of one of the points of discussion recently posted here about the "reorganization" of Ford under the current CEO. One of the points mentioned about justifying selling new vehicles directly on line and bypassing the new car dealers is Ford's dissatisfaction with dealers marking cars up over list.

Whereas supposedly we are all interested bystanders, sometimes these "Detroit-isms" overflow the internal local corporate battles and become viewable by the general public.

For me, sometimes it's difficult to tell the good guys from the bad ones? Can Ford's "suggested proposal" be writing on the wall for Chevy too?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pmustang

IMHO they jumped the shark with this new design. It's barely passable now visually and I can't imagine it will age well at all

I wouldn't pay sticker let alone 90k over

Meanwhile I saw the of them ZO6 old body style at a show and the poor owner needed to call security to get me away from it. Simply perfect

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 28, 2022, 09:09:57 AM....... of Ford under the current CEO. One of the points mentioned about justifying selling new vehicles directly on line and bypassing the new car dealers is Ford's dissatisfaction with dealers marking cars up over list.

They are only upset because they are not getting any of the money from the markup. The thing everyone forgets it that the dealer is Ford's customer not the end buyer. If you think Ford or Chevy will not have a "market rate" pricing scale if/when they become the dealer/seller you don't understand business and the fact every stockholder demands the most from their investment - just like every dealer wants to maximize their profit. Not one stockholder will sit idly by and let "their" company sell a car that is worth 1.5 million to someone go out the door for 400 grand. The only thing that might change will be open online bidding for the cars rather than a bogus lottery or an influencer list of prestige buyers.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

^^^ Agreed.  BTW: I'm in the market for a new luxo SUV, and decided to call around on the 2023 Cadillac Escalade V.  It's a 680 hp supercharged Blackwing (Caddy's hot rod) V8.  MSRP is $155,000, and it comes basically loaded with factory options. 

I must have called and/or emailed 70-80 dealers across the country. The lowest I could get one, that day, ready to wire the cash, was for $75k OVER. And it was at a dealer on the other side of the country from me, so with shipping, it got even more costly. I passed.

The highest price was from a snarky dealer general manager in New Jersey who said: "We're pricing them easy for the consumer. $333,333.  Oh, that's if you finance. If you pay cash, it's $353,333.  Because we make money on the financing."  After I laughed and said "you gotta be kidding," He said they're selling them out at these prices.  I promptly hung up.

So...ADM gouging on the Corvette got you pissed?  Try buying a Cadillac V.   
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

Quote from: Side-Oilers on August 28, 2022, 02:43:05 PM
^^^ Agreed.  BTW: I'm in the market for a new luxo SUV, and decided to call around on the 2023 Cadillac Escalade V.  It's a 680 hp supercharged Blackwing (Caddy's hot rod) V8.  MSRP is $155,000, and it comes basically loaded with factory options. 

I must have called and/or emailed 70-80 dealers across the country. The lowest I could get one, that day, ready to wire the cash, was for $75k OVER. And it was at a dealer on the other side of the country from me, so with shipping, it got even more costly. I passed.

The highest price was from a snarky dealer general manager in New Jersey who said: "We're pricing them easy for the consumer. $333,333.  Oh, that's if you finance. If you pay cash, it's $353,333.  Because we make money on the financing."  After I laughed and said "you gotta be kidding," He said they're selling them out at these prices.  I promptly hung up.

So...ADM gouging on the Corvette got you pissed?  Try buying a Cadillac V.   

If you are asking me if I'm pissed...no. I am not in the market for anything in this dimension. I am upset in the sense that I have real concerns that reality is gone forever. We are existing on some sort of dual plane Universe?

My point in posting this was that there was a certain Miami contingent here that claimed the C8's were being sold there at normal vehicle procedure, i.e, a discount off of list.

There is lots of fantasies going on worldwide as well as here in the US. So far I have not run into that magic special air cloud but am anticipating it is really a good ride?

Sometimes it takes a while for me to realize that something that someone else proposed has a significant basis in reality.

Recently a person who is becoming more of a friend as time goes by proposed that the issue is that the middle class no longer exists.

He suggested why prices are out of control and used the C8 as an example. "We" buy anything that we want now, regardless of the price. That just pushes prices higher and higher. He said that both "he and I" who are real middle class dinosaurs,  can no longer afford anything.

Perhaps the engraving on my grave stone will begin, "Here lies Doug, a shining example of a Tyrannosaurus Rex...dead in his glory of never having had a real chance"? Hum? Maybe?

Now there I go again feeling sorry for myself. Got to go back into my bubble of playing with my own ultimates. It CAN be very full of very pleasurable fantacies but how do I get 25 year old Raquel Welch in there with me? I'll even let her drive...if I have too!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

Doug:  I was typing quickly, and should have more accurately written...

A good friend is in the market for a new luxo SUV, and so I decided to help by calling around on the 2023 Cadillac Escalade V.

(And, the question at the end of my post was rhetorical. Yes, there seems to be gouging at every level of new cars. Another friend, whom I'm also helping with his search, is looking for a new KIA hybrid SUV and can't find one for less than $10k over. The traditional middle class IS being annihilated.)

PS:  I'm not in the market for anything. I'm selling vehicles, parts, and other things to make life easier for my wife when I'm no longer around.
One day at a time for me.
Van
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

crossboss

My worthless two cents...
ANYONE who pays over sticker, that being $1.00 dollar or a million over is a fool in my opinion. NO car/truck/performance car is worth it. Buy used. Save the loss of the value to the other fool. Save insurance costs as well. Just me..
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: crossboss on August 28, 2022, 04:10:01 PM
ANYONE who pays over sticker, that being $1.00 dollar or a million over is a fool in my opinion. NO car/truck/performance car is worth it. Buy used. Save the loss of the value to the other fool. Save insurance costs as well. Just me..
We're up to 4 cents now. I agree with the fool and his money. But their money and their life.
But I also disagree with the cry babies who whine about not being able to buy something at sticker. If the dealer can find a sucker willing to part with money the I say good for them. Supply and Demand is still the system I prefer.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

crossboss

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on August 28, 2022, 04:43:33 PM
Quote from: crossboss on August 28, 2022, 04:10:01 PM
We're up to 4 cents now. I agree with the fool and his money. But their money and their life.
But I also disagree with the cry babies who whine about not being able to buy something at sticker. If the dealer can find a sucker willing to part with money the I say good for them. Supply and Demand is still the system I prefer.

Agreed. No reason to be 'the first on the block' or trying to 'keep up with the Joneses' Just an ego trip for the insecure...ok, now 5 cents worth!  lol
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

That particular dealer received so much bad press that they apologized and have now been selling at MSRP
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

MSRP baby !

Top 9 Corvette dealers by sales :

1- Kerbeck/Ciocca (NJ) 1,481
2- McMulkin (NH) 1,160
3- Criswell/ Home of Mike Furman (MD) 583
4- Bomnin-Dadeland (FL) 534
5- Les Stanford (MI) 492
6- Stingray (FL) 309
7- Rick Hendrick, Duluth (GA) 248
8- Coughlin / Home of Rick Conti (OH) 233
9- Bomnin, West Kendall (FL) 232

At least the top 6 are selling at MSRP

I have all UNGOLD cars

shelbydoug

Quote from: FL SAAC on August 29, 2022, 12:04:03 AM
MSRP baby !

2- McMulkin (NH) 1,160
5- Les Stanford (MI) 492
6- Stingray (FL) 309

So if this is true, then it shows that these buyers going over list are not very bright are they? Must have more money then brains? I always suspected that.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Yes it is true, we have several friends that have a bought at MSRP wait time has been anywhere from 6 months to 14 months.

The inpatient, the uninformed, the  I want it now crowd are the ones that walk in and purchase at the spur of the moment what is ever available on the show room floor. Welcome to the mouse trap....SNAP !

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 29, 2022, 07:27:42 AM
Quote from: FL SAAC on August 29, 2022, 12:04:03 AM
MSRP baby !

2- McMulkin (NH) 1,160
5- Les Stanford (MI) 492
6- Stingray (FL) 309

So if this is true, then it shows that these buyers going over list are not very bright are they? Must have more money then brains? I always suspected that.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

My sincerest apologies for not a dressing your question;

Still think C8 Corvettes are a good deal?  

Absolutely it is just read this review on the C8 from Car & Driver :

2023 Chevrolet Corvette Review, Pricing, and Specs
https://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/corvette

I have all UNGOLD cars