News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Beginners guide/Buyers guide

Started by 67DREAMING, August 28, 2022, 08:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67DREAMING

I was curious if someone could point me in the direction of a good resource to use as a beginners guide? I'm trying to learn as much as possible from reading the different threads in these and other forums as well as watching lots of videos but I feel like I am still missing so much. Can you point me in the direction of a good resource guide. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

silverton_ford

You are on the right track.   

The next thing is to join a local club if you have one close to you and meet people with these cars.  Go to their events and get involved.  People are usually more than willing to talk to about their car and share their knowledge with you.

Also, buy a registry for the year car you like the most. Link to the site: - https://saacstuff.com/

J_Speegle

Quote from: 67DREAMING on August 28, 2022, 08:02:50 PM
I was curious if someone could point me in the direction of a good resource to use as a beginners guide? I'm trying to learn as much as possible from reading the different threads in these and other forums as well as watching lots of videos but I feel like I am still missing so much. Can you point me in the direction of a good resource guide. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

Welcome

Guess your interested in 67's given where you posted, and in the same boat as plenty of other people.

And for buyer there is IMHO no quick course of handbook of everything to look for, consider and to look out for

If you have read the other potential buyer threads you have read suggestions to

- Create a list of what you would like to find. Don't get too committed to a certain specific car and options IMHO at this point since a narrow search will reduce the chances to consider a possible great car or purchase

- Your list should also include you budget, your planned usage (show, drive, race or build for example ), you skill level and other considerations. This should also include, after allot of thought, what you might be willing to accept since a fair number of cars after all these years have issues. Your task and that of hopefully an person inspecting the car for you is to discover these issues so that they can be considered. Everyone has a different level of acceptability and there is a home for every car though not every car is acceptable to everyone

- Look everywhere, listen to all the stories and tales and get some decent pictures. Allot of cars can be eliminated at this stage from the pictures alone before moving on. You can get help from others and inspectors reviewing the pictures and help with asking certain questions that may uncover additional details.

- If your this far and the car is still in consideration then get the car inspected by someone that knows that specific year Shelby. Listen to them and base your choice on the facts and your situation.

As a side note, if your have read many threads on 67 you know that 67's can be one of the more challenging years given the hundreds of changes by both Ford and Shelby that year each taking place at different times and creating a buck of cars with all these different variations. I understand that for many they don't want to get bogged down in the details but details matter either now to a buyer or at least when it comes time to sell the car and you hoping to at least get what you paid for the car back.

I would rely on the help and support you can get here rather than on allot of other sites, articles and U tube videos. You have found the place, take you time and become a sponge  :)  With the help of the registry, recent issues of the clubs "magazine" and this forum you are in good hands
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Royce Peterson

Quote from: 67DREAMING on August 28, 2022, 08:02:50 PM

Thank you for your time!

Glad that you posted this. It's a bumpy road buying a Shelby. Recommend that you hire an expert. These cars are so complex and so easily duplicated - you don't want to be screwed.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

67DREAMING

Thank you all for the help! I just placed an order for the 67 Registry and look forward learning more about these vehicles. I look forward to putting in the legwork and hopefully will join you all as an owner in the future. Thanks again for the help!

TLea

I cannot over emphasize the importance of what Jeff said about when you are ready to hire an expert in that particular model year to inspect the car for you. Like he said we won't bog you down with the stories but there are literally hundreds of stories of people making bad purchases and over spending on cars that could've been avoided by hiring an expert. Get the best person you can, don't worry whether they're  local to the car. The cost of flying  someone out on an airline it's cheap money compared compared to the overall purchase of the car

Coralsnake

JD

Also suggest you contact Dave Mathews the '67 SAAC Registrar (dmathews@prodigy.net), he can help at times on car histories.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 29, 2022, 07:43:28 AM
Agreed, get professional help

;)

I have, but at least two "shrinks" have already quit. The third one won't return phone calls?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

Too bad it cannot be like my first 67 GT350 in 1981...Found it in a driveway in Boca Raton after I making a wrong turn, asked the guy if it was for sale, he said no but stop back in about 6 months, which I did, and he said 2500.00 and it is yours. Bought it, painted it a different color and beat the FUN out of it! Got it from the original owner, things were so simple back then. That was car number 2195....Traded it a few years later for car number 1424....

Must haves:
All the stampings on the body. That is no one for me. Engine, yes a hipo is great, matching number? How fussy do you want to get given how hard they are to find? Date codes, very nice, again how fussy do you want to get... I rather buy a nice car with maybe a few things missing that a project complete but rusted out. Headaches abound!

This is just my opinion, sorry if it bothers a few.
RARE  Signature Delete

kkupec02

If you ever need an inspection, Jeff Speegle is the person to contact with his knowledge.
1967 GT500 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

68krrrr

Don't be afraid to run it buy these guys with any ? This is the buyers guide if used correctly ,i'm on my 2nd Shelby in 20 yrs & started right here in 2002
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam