Author Topic: How has owning a Shelby or a Boss changed your life?  (Read 6011 times)

1967 eight barrel

Re: How has owning a Shelby or a Boss changed your life?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 02:03:20 AM »
Let's see if I can give a simple answer. Absolutely! Meeting people who have a love and passion for the cars and missed the window to own/drive one.
I have spent a small fortune  restoring it, which needless to say the spousal unit isn't enthralled.
With that said: Serving this nation in uniform has done more to change me than owning my Shelby. It's a brotherhood you would have to be part of to understand.
 However, flying a Boeing 737 for a living does take the proverbial cake. I don't think there is any place I'd rather be while roaming God's green earth than the flight deck.
                                                                                                                                   -Keith

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2023, 08:16:21 PM »
anyone else have some stories  ;)
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2023, 09:50:47 PM »
No big stories from me but I can't think of any way in which it has not effected everything over the last 55 years?

It is in fact a lifestyle. Few civilians understand that at all. Wifey says she doesn't either but I think she is just jealous and doesn't know how to compete with it?
I tell her I just value special old things.

I have two sons that are now in their mid 30's. The strangest thing is that they ask me questions but actually listen to the answers as if I actually know something? Very strange.

I wouldn't say that I actually "know" some people that are considered famous or celebs but more then a few have "visited" with me asking about the "car" over the years. I just think that their "Management Companies/agents" block them from calling me directly but the door is always open? That's my explanation anyway.  :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 10:02:08 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2023, 11:14:57 AM »
Changed life?
Being 19 and buying my 67 GT350....if was fun to work on it, get it running, get the body "done" drive it, car shows....where I never worried about it that much. feelings never got hurt not winning. Drove it to "places for late night fun"
Later in life, events more related to Shelbys, discovered fun track events, discovered owners were not all they were made out to be, discovered backstabbing at its best. Still, enjoyed my car.
Later in fife, there was "life" school, work, more life, and sold the car, because? Life.
Went through my prime and had no Shelby, life still was fun, but missing the hobby.
Later in life, have a few Shelbys, a Boss and do my own thing! Much better as I do not listen to BS and I do not read it anymore, except for the entertainment that pops up. I have had the pleasure of owning a FGT, Thats'a big PERIOD. If you did not smile just getting into that car, something was wrong. Still have all the old stuff, but now I drive a 2012 LS Boss, and next to the FGT, smiles are back!! People who own, understand.
Change my life for better or worse? I would say, "Evolved." -Still doing my own thing.
RARE  Signature Delete

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2023, 01:13:38 PM »
I have owned two Shelby's: 1970 GT-500, and a 1968 GT-350. Yet, its my old Boss 302 that everyone remembers.
Had fun with all my cars, even the brand X. That said, every car I owned I raced. Of course its the Boss 302 that was the most fun. I cherish those memories!
Click on the pics to enlarge.

Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2023, 12:09:16 AM »
I have owned two Shelby's: 1970 GT-500, and a 1968 GT-350. Yet, its my old Boss 302 that everyone remembers.
Had fun with all my cars, even the brand X. That said, every car I owned I raced. Of course its the Boss 302 that was the most fun. I cherish those memories!
Click on the pics to enlarge.
That's a badass looking Boss 302.  Do you know of the car's whereabouts these days or what it's doing?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2023, 01:10:09 AM »
Well it has sucked a bunch of “gas money”out of my pockets…well worth it for the fun value though….

Rocket

• View Profile
Re: How has owning a Shelby or a Boss changed your liffd
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2023, 01:48:32 PM »
My
Boss 302 was a fun car. Had some Chttps://www.saacforum.com/Smileys/default/sad.gifhevy Z28's who had to find out just how fast it was. I've owned my 1966 Shelby Hertz since August 1967. Since; Hertz had them leased from Ford, I'm the only owner the car has ever had. Most of my racing with the Shelby were races on the highway. It had a 3,25 ratio rear end in it, so would run faster in 3rd,,than 4th. It now has the correct rear end installed. It is still wicked fast Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2023, 10:30:11 PM »
Well it has sucked a bunch of “gas money”out of my pockets…well worth it for the fun value though….

kept you from wasting it on booze and women :)
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2023, 03:15:41 PM »
Absolutely not, we have enjoyed having all our cars.

But to say a "car"  changing our lives ?  That's a big NO

What has changed our lives :

Getting married and staying married.

Having children. Seeing them grow into productive citizens, become  professionals and distinguished in their fields.

Getting your “dream jobs you never really working a day in your life

Retiring early and enjoying every day of your life

That my friends is true happiness
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2023, 08:18:43 AM »
I pondered this question again .... I still get the same results...no
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy