News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Antenna location

Started by Dennis Y, August 30, 2022, 07:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Y

Are there any set measurements for the location of the hole for the antenna on the LR quarter panel? Thanks.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Dennis Y on August 30, 2022, 07:57:47 PM
Are there any set measurements for the location of the hole for the antenna on the LR quarter panel? Thanks.
There are no set measurements. The positioning was left up to the installer. They were dealer installed during pre delivery service prior to the car being put on the lot, showroom floor or customer order. With that said it is hard to get one wrong only a difference in preferred location. I don't get a chance to see many lined up in a row often but that was always interesting looking down a row of 6 or more 69/70 Shelby's at a show and seeing the slight variations in position of the rear antenna's.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dennis Y

Thanks Bob. Unfortunately I don't have much of a starting point. The quarters had been replaced early in it's life (parts labels indicate 1975) and because of the way they did them, I had to cut it all apart again and didn't remember to note where the hole was just for a starting point.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Dennis Y on August 31, 2022, 07:09:43 AM
Thanks Bob. Unfortunately I don't have much of a starting point. The quarters had been replaced early in it's life (parts labels indicate 1975) and because of the way they did them, I had to cut it all apart again and didn't remember to note where the hole was just for a starting point.
Look at pictures. They are generally in the same area you will find although not all in the same exact position. Another way is that the antenna mast generally comes down about midway between the wheelhouse and the back trunk tail light board in the trunk area. Forward or aft side to side is a personal preference. Like I said it is hard to get one wrong because there are many different positions.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dennis Y

Hopefully the car is coming home from metal fab in the next week or two. Might do a few small things but then up on the lift until springtime when the wallet has recovered a bit. Finally a vacaction the first week of October, then have to purge in the garage from piling all the stuff up to put the lift in.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Dennis Y on August 31, 2022, 09:49:54 AM
Hopefully the car is coming home from metal fab in the next week or two. Might do a few small things but then up on the lift until springtime when the wallet has recovered a bit. Finally a vacaction the first week of October, then have to purge in the garage from piling all the stuff up to put the lift in.
I wouldn't worry about it until the car is painted and done. That is how the dealers did them . Worked out OK for them.

Coralsnake

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 31, 2022, 01:28:08 PM
From Mongo

As good a guide as any I have seen although not definitive one way or the other given the many original variations done by Dealers when new. Convertible will have different measurements as a starting point.

Dennis Y

Next step is to dig through the boxes an boxes to find the antenna to get a correct diameter for the hole. Wanted to get it drilled before paint to try and avoid any mishaps. (knowing my luck)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Dennis Y on August 31, 2022, 08:00:44 PM
Next step is to dig through the boxes an boxes to find the antenna to get a correct diameter for the hole. Wanted to get it drilled before paint to try and avoid any mishaps. (knowing my luck)
Make sure you have a original antenna to go by. Many cars have lost their original antennas. You can post a picture on the forum to confirm.

Special Ed

Ford did make a power antenna option in 67  a c7az rotuda i sold my nos one thats now on little red that had one on it back in 67.

Coralsnake

Its not the original antenna for the car

Dennis Y

Is the 1 that I pictured above the correct one for my 69?

Coralsnake

No.
Its not the original antenna for the car. The original antenna sent with the car was not a power antenna