Author Topic: tilt column vacuum routing  (Read 1397 times)

tilt column vacuum routing
« on: August 31, 2022, 10:55:34 AM »
Car is a 69 GT500 with A/C, A/T and Tilt-away steering.

I’m confused and need some direction please concerning the large GREEN-WHITE striped vacuum hose, and the components that are connected to it.

Based on the larger size hose ID, I figure that it connects with some, or all of the larger size nipples. Based on the large sized nipple, from what I can see, this would include the 1 on the A/C can; the 2 on the Tilt Wheel can; the 2 on the Vacuum source (the brass fitting on the intake manifold); the 3 on the check valve; and the 1 on the vacuum release pod attached to the steering column.  I can’t figure out what goes where? Do all components get the GREEN-WHITE hose, or are some of the connections made with standard black hoses? If so, which ones? And to answer a question some may ask, yes, I did review the diagram of the tilt column assembly, and the vacuum lines, but they do not include the CHECK VALVE, which I know is on my system. A little help please. Maybe a diagram??

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: tilt column vacuum routing
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 02:20:35 PM »
Car is a 69 GT500 with A/C, A/T and Tilt-away steering.

I’m confused and need some direction please concerning the large GREEN-WHITE striped vacuum hose, and the components that are connected to it.

Based on the larger size hose ID, I figure that it connects with some, or all of the larger size nipples. Based on the large sized nipple, from what I can see, this would include the 1 on the A/C can; the 2 on the Tilt Wheel can; the 2 on the Vacuum source (the brass fitting on the intake manifold); the 3 on the check valve; and the 1 on the vacuum release pod attached to the steering column.  I can’t figure out what goes where? Do all components get the GREEN-WHITE hose, or are some of the connections made with standard black hoses? If so, which ones? And to answer a question some may ask, yes, I did review the diagram of the tilt column assembly, and the vacuum lines, but they do not include the CHECK VALVE, which I know is on my system. A little help please. Maybe a diagram??
The system takes the check valve with two ports on one end and one port on the other. i am not sure what diagram you reviewed but the check valve can be seen in the Ford illustration. Basically the short vacuum tube comes off of the intake brass fitting and goes to the single port. One side of the two ports goes to the vacuum can under the battery box and the other goes through the firewall to the tilt motor . The A/C  vacuum does not have anything to do with this system and gets it's vacuum directly from another port in the intake fitting and runs over to the A/C vacuum can. Of course the fitting used on the 390/428 is the one not marked.  This can be confusing. I hope this helps. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 09:24:32 AM »
Thanks Bob for the explanation.  I can now see that the check valve is in the portion of the diagram that looks like a octopus. Unfortunately there was no reference to the 428.  But I still have a question on the reservoir can (the one for the tilt NOT the A/C).  My original and replacement cans both had two nipples.  One large diameter (for the GREEN-WHITE hose) and one smaller diameter. I don't see a reference of a hose from this smaller nipple as to where it terminates.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 10:16:12 AM »
The two canisters are not the same. I dont think the tilt can has a "smaller" nipple
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 10:19:13 AM by Coralsnake »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 11:37:22 AM »
The two canisters are not the same. I dont think the tilt can has a "smaller" nipple
That is correct the original tilt can has one large nipple. I am not sure but they were being reproduced at least a couple years agobut don't know about now. The A/C canisters can be made to work however but they will not be exactly correct.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 11:41:47 AM »
It appears that you are right in that they are the same size. (The can is installed in the car and was difficult to see.) That being said, I have the GREEN-WHITE hose attached to one port of this can, What is attached to the other port AND where does that hose go to?? The diagram only shows one line going in to that can.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 12:11:54 PM »
It appears that you are right in that they are the same size. (The can is installed in the car and was difficult to see.) That being said, I have the GREEN-WHITE hose attached to one port of this can, What is attached to the other port AND where does that hose go to?? The diagram only shows one line going in to that can.
You misunderstand . The factory tilt vacuum canister has only one large port . The A/C canister has two. The 2 port A/C canister can be made to work for the tilt although it will not look correct

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 12:18:53 PM »
If trying to substitute a A/C vacuum canister to work in place of the factory tilt canister you only use one port of the two on the A/C can. I believe it is the large one . You can verify by checking the airflow as there is no check valve on one of the ports. Blow in or sucking out easily confirms that there is no check valve in a given port. I would cap off the unused port for insurance of no vacuum leak .

430dragpack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 03:05:44 PM »
As Bob has said, the A/C vacuum can has 2 ports because a check valve is built into it.  The tilt vacuum can has 1 port and uses the 3 port, aluminum external check valve. 
Green and white hose is used from the tilt vacuum can single port to one side of the aluminum check valve.  The check valve nipple beside it, is also green white and goes into the car and hooks to the vacuum release solenoid.  A black hose hooks the single nipple side of the aluminum check valve to the intake fitting port.  If both of your vacuum cans have 2 ports, one of them is not for the tilt system.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 03:58:16 PM by 430dragpack »

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 04:17:46 PM »
The vacuum schematic helps, BUT the schematic shows that ALL the hoses to and from the check valve are GREEN-WHITE. Your diagram with the check valve on it shows the single port to be black. I just want to be sure to do this the right way.  And I do really want to thank you for the help. When the car came to me in 40 boxes, I need all the help that everyone has provided.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2022, 04:35:48 PM »
The vacuum schematic helps, BUT the schematic shows that ALL the hoses to and from the check valve are GREEN-WHITE. Your diagram with the check valve on it shows the single port to be black. I just want to be sure to do this the right way.  And I do really want to thank you for the help. When the car came to me in 40 boxes, I need all the help that everyone has provided.
The hoses going from the check valve to the vacuum canister and the check valve to the tilt motor are the green and white. The short hose going from the single port of the check valve to the brass intake fitting is black. That's all of the hoses.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2022, 04:46:33 PM »
PERFECT.  That's what I needed.  When it comes to Shelby's, I do know that the books are not always correct.