Author Topic: Fuel log and fittings  (Read 1338 times)

Rex

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Fuel log and fittings
« on: August 31, 2022, 06:10:57 PM »
I am in need of a picture of the fuel log arrangement for a 67 GT500. I have my car in one shop and the engine in another. I believe my fuel log got mixed up with a new one and need to see what fittings we are missing. Thanks in advance.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel log and fittings
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 06:26:36 PM »
I am in need of a picture of the fuel log arrangement for a 67 GT500. I have my car in one shop and the engine in another. I believe my fuel log got mixed up with a new one and need to see what fittings we are missing. Thanks in advance.
not much to see. Fuel log and one 45 degree fitting that goes from pipe thread to flare fitting on the fuel line . Mansfield Mustang is a reliable source. http://mansfieldmustang.com/EngineFuelCarbp1.html
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rex

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 06:35:42 PM »
Thanks Bob! Much appreciated!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 10:39:14 PM »
I think this may have been one of Drew's "2112" images that was posted on this forum...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 01:22:12 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

DC-DD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 08:20:29 AM »
I believe The fuel log in the picture looks like reproduction.
The originals have a different leading edge where the fitting screws into.
Dominic
Hopefully I can post a picture later today

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 12:42:44 PM »
That picture was from member 2112’s carbs.

I have roughly 20 original fuel logs at the shop and have spent a good bit of time studying them. I have also had the opportunity to study NOS from throughout the 60s.
Hate to burst anyone’s idea of correct, but I have seen 2 different but correct logs from Shelby’s and 2, different but correct ones from early 60s (63-64).

I have reproductions made, they aren’t perfect, but will pass most “experts.”
Most experts I have met, if you handed them an NOS fuel log, they would rant about it being a cheap aftermarket parts.

DC-DD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 01:52:25 PM »
I have had NOS ones also and there are ones that are different than assembly line ones.

Dominic

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 01:56:04 PM »
That was my point.

DC-DD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 04:51:24 PM »

Original 67 500 fuel log and fitting also notice how the support brackets attach.
Alot of the reproduction ones are welded on.
This style is what I have noticed on 67 500s over the years.
I have owned 5  67 500s several unrestored and also when helped judge 67 Shelbys for 10 years or so .

There may been other style or vendors. I'm just posting so others can see and form there own opinions.
I will post a picture of a cheap repop . 

DC-DD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 04:52:34 PM »
Repop

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 08:18:06 PM »
Dominic is right on the money . The originals had the tabs spot welded on and the repros typically are welded across the leading edge. That is a easy way to have confidence on if original or not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tgilliam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2022, 04:20:11 PM »
The pictures Dominic posted are very helpful. Some of my observations have been that some original 63/64 fuel logs have the attaching straps welded on (like the repo's that are available). I have not seen any fuel logs that were reported as original 67 Shelby that did not have spot welded straps.
The color of the plating is also important to notice. The original 67 fuel logs have the dichromate that seems to have more green tint. All the repo's seem to have the heavy gold tint look.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2022, 04:56:30 PM »
The pictures Dominic posted are very helpful. Some of my observations have been that some original 63/64 fuel logs have the attaching straps welded on (like the repo's that are available). I have not seen any fuel logs that were reported as original 67 Shelby that did not have spot welded straps.
The color of the plating is also important to notice. The original 67 fuel logs have the dichromate that seems to have more green tint. All the repo's seem to have the heavy gold tint look.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com

Yessir. That is why I spent a fortune having exact replicas made from a custom shop, and plating them in house.
The color is partially based on thickness of coating and plating style.
Modern plating techniques use widely different chromates and sealants that change the appearance.
You can get around this some, but it takes a huge amount of effort and understanding of the chemistry.