Author Topic: Gt-500 Radiator fan clutch  (Read 1258 times)

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Gt-500 Radiator fan clutch
« on: September 01, 2022, 01:06:19 PM »
Hi Guys,
I've never had a heating problem with my car up in till two weeks ago. Went to a show and when I got there, parked and shut her down, all kind of smoke came billowing out from under the hood. At first thought it was on fire, good thing that wasn't it. Radiator over heated. Never looked at my gauge the last 1/2 hour drive there. I was stomped as to why it happened. I thought for sure it had to be the thermostat as that was replaced not that long ago when I put the right housing on the car. I just changed the thermostat and went for a ride. Well the gauge starting moving to the middle so that wasn't it. I was looking around and started ck'ing things. I wiggled the fan blades and they had  some movement in them. Does that mean a bearing went bad and it's not spinning like it should for cooling? Maybe just free floating? Only thing I can think of. Will the whole fan assembly need rebuilding or is there a bearing u can just replace?
All help is appreciated.
Craig
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 05:28:59 PM by csheff »

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gt-500 Radiator fan
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 01:17:43 PM »
If it has play it could be a :

1) Bad water pump bearing,  check for leaks or signs of leaks (rust stains) just below the water pump orifice

2) Bad fan clutch (If it has one) maybe not engaging,  this free wheeling and causing overheating

3) take to a reputable shop so they can check it out

Good luck
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 01:33:42 PM »
C7ZX-A RADIATOR COOLING FAN CLUTCH 1967 SHELBY GT500 428 POLICE INTERCEPTOR
$650.00
 SEMO Classic Mustang, Inc.
PO Box 78
Gordonville, MO 63752
Has anyone done business or seen one of these?

Anyone know of a good rebuilder of the fan clutch?

Fl SAAC- it is not the water pump

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 02:59:40 PM »
Check with Hunter at Brown's.  I bought one for my 68 a couple of years ago and it made a world of difference.  If I remember correctly, it was around $450.

Double check the application.  I only picked the one in the link because it had a "C7" number.

http://www.brownsautobodyservices.com/shop/aptsa1yfysl3odq08nve6cda1prn52

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 03:04:09 PM »
I looked at the one Semo has listed.  I'd bet it is from Brown's with a $200 mark up.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 05:01:59 PM »
$650.00
PO Box 78
Gordonville, MO 63752

Great news !

Why are the components ;

I wiggled the fan blades and they had  some movement in them. Does that mean a bearing went bad and it's not spinning like it should 

None of my cars have any play in them
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 08:28:50 PM »
$650.00
PO Box 78
Gordonville, MO 63752

NPD sells them for a couple hundred less but they are out of stock. They are all made by the same people. Browns restorations is the source .Unfortunatly Hunter Brown the son is back logged and trying to get caught up after his father Chris Browns untimely death.I have not had any experience with rebuilders for about 5 years or so since the one's Chris had made were exact copies. Maybe someone else will step up with a more recent rebuilder experience.  Also if it is not a assemblyline C7ZX-A marked clutch it is not worth rebuilding.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 10:24:24 AM »
Thanks guys
So what would be the correct fan clutch # I should have for a Jan 25th 67 build car? One I have is E C7ZE-B would that be correct?

I was able to find a E  C7ZX-A repro. Just received the part and getting ready to attach the fan when I noticed it was about a 1/4" shorter than the one I had on the car. Has anyone else gotten this part and found this? Attached is pic . I don't think it will make a difference?
Thanks everyone. Just trying to get car back up & running for rest of season and some events.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 05:34:25 PM by csheff »

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gt-500 Radiator fan clutch
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 05:40:10 PM »
Anyone run into this when they bought the new C7ZX-A fan Clutch?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 05:54:51 PM »
Thanks guys
So what would be the correct fan clutch # I should have for a Jan 25th 67 build car? One I have is E C7ZE-B would that be correct?

I was able to find a E  C7ZX-A repro. Just received the part and getting ready to attach the fan when I noticed it was about a 1/4" shorter than the one I had on the car. Has anyone else gotten this part and found this? Attached is pic . I don't think it will make a difference?
Thanks everyone. Just trying to get car back up & running for rest of season and some events.
The C7ZX-A fan is shorter then the incorrect C7ZE-B fan.  The biggest difference it will make IMO is that the shorter C7ZX-A is assemblyline correct and the longer C7ZE-B is not .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gt-500 Radiator fan clutch
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 09:14:25 AM »
I have used both clutches and see no difference in the function of the two on the GT500 and the '68 GT350.

Perhaps the C7ZX was created to give more room to the fan against the radiator itself on the '67 GT500?

The location of the fan hub on the water pump on the 428 is farther forward then the small block is and might have been created and used for that reason, i.e., more fan clearance to the radiator?

I also have one on my 68 GT350. I don't know why there was a need for it there other then an initial perception that what was good on the 67 GT500 would also be good with the 68 GT350?

Maybe it is just that the fan on the 68 with the A/C is a larger assembly? Don't know what the rationale was for the decision but frankly as Bob says, the value now is in being original on a difficult part to find.

As far as I can see, virtually any of the fan clutches will work fine. There seems to be no variation in cooling ability with the various hubs?

As a matter of fact, not to cast dispersion on Brown's shop at all, I SUSPECT that all of the hubs they sold and had remade were the same except for the stamping id on the flange? I may be wrong, but no one that I know of ever tested the repro's for variation.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 02:20:39 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!