News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Another Dennis Collins car with a mysterious Carroll Shelby Connection

Started by Karguy, September 05, 2022, 10:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karguy

6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

FL SAAC

Simply astonishing !

As Rod (singer) Stewart would say:

Some guys have all the luck
Some guys have all the pain
Some guys get all the breaks
Some guys do nothing but complain
Woo woo woo
Woo woo woo
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

68krrrr

Cool story but damn they could of done that show, away from all that  street noise .
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

98SVT - was 06GT

As usual it starts out "the story is" and goes downhill from there. CS wanted to build his own car not modify someone elses. He wouldn't use a 265 when the 283 was available nor would he cobble up and adapter when Corvette 4 speeds were plentiful.
This reminds me of the 327 Chevy swap we did in a Healey right after high school. We even slid in a Ford 8" that promptly spot the pinion out and oiled down the street. A friend towed us home with his 64 K Fairlane.
Did CS offer swaps at his Dallas Sports Cars? and....... let's not forget CS was not a wrench he hired people for that job.
Did you catch Collins' grasp of history that CS was driving a TD for Donald Healey? I didn't know Healey owned the Morris Garage.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

crossboss

Folks, its called television aka 'entertainment'. Facts, we don't need no stink'n facts. I filmed for a ton of this type of automotive television content. Eg: Hot-Rod and Motor Trend TV...its all bs.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

427hunter

What's funny is Dennis finds very cool cars - but for some reason feels the need to tell tall tales. The content is interesting enough without all his "holy grail" nonsense. Dennis is developing a reputation as a lier which in the end will cost him.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 427hunter on September 06, 2022, 12:19:02 PM
What's funny is Dennis finds very cool cars - but for some reason feels the need to tell tall tales. The content is interesting enough without all his "holy grail" nonsense. Dennis is developing a reputation as a lier which in the end will cost him.

Thems "tall tales" and worked great for another Texan........

JohnSlack

Don't you feel it already has? You and I both know there are people we wouldn't believe if they told us it was hot outside on a 90 degree day.... because at the same time out of the other side of their mouth that same person would say "Hmmm 90 degrees that is cool compared to an August day in Death Valley." Comparitive truths and revised history make truth adjustable to some people.

John

trotrof1

Was like watching an episode of fractured fairy tales on the Rocky & Bullwinkle show while recovering from a Kegger. Not pretty.

honker

I went through some of my paper, and these are the only two references I found regarding Austin Healey and Shelby.

The first is a quote from the John Morton book "Inside Shelby American" and mentions Ted Sutton's (who worked at Shelby) Healey

with a small block Ford.

The second,  is from the book by Mr. Wallace A. Wyss "Shelby's Wildlife"  and we know of the inaccuracies  in that one !

427hunter

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 06, 2022, 02:19:34 PM

Shelby won Le Mans, Dennis sells jeeps, you might want to modify your position.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

FL SAAC

Quote from: 427hunter on September 06, 2022, 07:06:13 PM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 06, 2022, 02:19:34 PM

Shelby won Le Mans, Dennis sells jeeps, you might want to modify your position.

See now it all makes sense, I made the connection....it's like that Kevin Bacon guy.

Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon or Bacon's Law .... now this is going to get SIZZLING HOT !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 427hunter on September 06, 2022, 07:06:13 PMShelby won Le Mans, Dennis sells jeeps, you might want to modify your position.

Take off those rose colored glasses. Shelby was also a car salesman - and we know where they are ranked of the truth scale. Out of Shelby's own mouth he has admitted to telling "stories" to get deals put together and there is an interview with Pete Brock where CS was nicknamed Billy Sol Estes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Sol_Estes

How's your Carroll Shelby Intl stock performing? Close $0.0062 it wouldn't even be performing well if it had been a penny stock.