Author Topic: inner quarter trim bezel around rear seat latch  (Read 960 times)

papa scoops

• View Profile
inner quarter trim bezel around rear seat latch
« on: September 08, 2022, 03:13:05 PM »
68 fastback, the trim around the rear seat latch, are there supose to be washers around the 4 screws? i see them offered, but my original car dosent have them and i see no marks where they would have been. did shelby loose them? car did have a warranty repair for a water leak when new, maybe ford lost them?

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: inner quarter trim bezel around rear seat latch
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 04:05:36 PM »
The metal trim plates around the fold down seat latches? If that is what you are asking about then no, no washers were used that I have recalled of seeing although the assembly manual calls for them. My car never had them (02267). I do not see the point of them as this is part is steel. Although the assembly manual calls for them it does not mean they actually used them in production.  If your car didn't have them do not use them IMHO.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 06:59:01 PM »
AO Smith had a notation to “use finish washers as needed” but I feel that was referring more to fiberglass

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 08:46:06 PM »
i recall the finish washer as nec. and im sure they didnt have the washers on the latch trim, so thanks for just verifing. it is something that i happen to see after changing my lower trim panel (bought new back in early 70s when i put a small crack in my original) Fred. member since before we started.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 10:49:45 PM »
A small collection of latch screws from unrestored 68 NJ fastbacks with fold down rear seats. Do have more
No washers here

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 08:49:43 AM »
I think if you use the oval head screws noted in the assembly manuals, the washers are required to seat correctly. It seems to me that when the interior panels were removed to install the side scoops, likely the mechanics were stripping the small screws holding the bezels to the fiberglass. Maybe slightly larger screws were used to reinstall the bezels when gorilla hands stripped them out. Just a theory. My July 68 car had the washers.

Don
gt350bp

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 10:27:08 AM »
I think if you use the oval head screws noted in the assembly manuals, the washers are required to seat correctly. It seems to me that when the interior panels were removed to install the side scoops, likely the mechanics were stripping the small screws holding the bezels to the fiberglass. Maybe slightly larger screws were used to reinstall the bezels when gorilla hands stripped them out. Just a theory. My July 68 car had the washers.

Don
gt350bp
That is why the text in Tim's reply that AO Smith had a notation to “use finish washers as needed”
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby