News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 Shelby American coupe certificate...Is it real?

Started by halowe, September 11, 2022, 01:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halowe

Does this certificate appear to be authentic? Any info on what this car is?

68blk500c

halowe

I'm definitely skeptical. As far as I know, the EXP 500 was the only Shelby coupe from that year (other than the Shelby de Mexico built coupes). The owner says that she inherited it from her father, who worked at Ford in Dearborn. She says she has been in contact with Shelby about it. I'm asking her to provide those emails. I've also sent a message to the Shelby America registry department. The car is a basket case, but rust free.

Coralsnake

I think your confusing vintage Shelbys with something that could have built much later. Shelby did not build any 1968 six cylinder coupes or any "EXP 350" before 1970

Bob Gaines

As far as info the OP asked for the car is apparently one of the many continuation type cars that the Modern Shelby American Inc. in Los Vegas has commissioned to be built or licensed so others could build using the Shelby name. It is a 60's body but actually built in recent years. They have their own registry to track those modern made cars that they have licensed over the years since Shelby started in Los Vegas in the early 90's.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

halowe

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 11, 2022, 02:24:57 PM
I think your confusing vintage Shelbys with something that could have built much later. Shelby did not build any 1968 six cylinder coupes or any "EXP 350" before 1970

I meant GT 500 (Little Red)...I wrote the wrong thing. I've editted to correct.

halowe

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 11, 2022, 02:31:45 PM
As far as info the OP asked for the car is apparently one of the many continuation type cars that the Modern Shelby American Inc. in Los Vegas has commissioned to be built or licensed so others could build using the Shelby name. It is a 60's body but actually built in recent years. They have their own registry to track those modern made cars that they have licensed over the years since Shelby started in Los Vegas in the early 90's.

Could be. Would the cert look like this one, without any mention of being later built? Would it say "experimental"? Is that perhaps why it has a CSM number instead of SFM?

Bill

Quote from: halowe on September 11, 2022, 01:34:40 PM
Does this certificate appear to be authentic?

Authentic to what?

Any info on what this car is?

Sure, the VIN decodes as follows:
8=1968 model year
F=Dearborn Assembly plant
01=2dr Hardtop
T=6cyl engine
207014=107,013 mustang off that specific assembly line for the 1968 model year
Most likely built on May 29th, 1968

Essentially someones pipe dream they are now passing off as something it is not.

Instead of sending anything off to SAI, they should send it off to the 1968 SAAC registrar, or maybe she already has, and did not like the answer.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: halowe on September 11, 2022, 02:34:43 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 11, 2022, 02:31:45 PM

Could be. Would the cert look like this one, without any mention of being later built?
It compares to other 60's bodied contemporary built Shelby's that I have seen that only list details about authenticity as it relates the modern day Shelby American Inc. manufacture. I have not seen any of these contemporary built cars that detailed when the cars were built as a Shelby.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

halowe

Quote from: Bill on September 11, 2022, 02:43:04 PM

Authentic to what?

8=1968 model year
01=2dr Hardtop
T=6cyl engine

Essentially someones pipe dream they are now passing off as something it is not.

Instead of sending anything off to SAI, they should send it off to the 1968 SAAC registrar, or maybe she already has, and did not like the answer.

Bill

Authentic as in is this cert actually from SAI. I meant what it might have been used for if the car was indeed an experimental car used by Shelby (as opposed to what the VIN can tell us). I thought I was sending the question to the SAAC registrars by posting my question in this forum??? How do I send to a registrar?

98SVT - was 06GT

Lots of confusion exists in the pedestrian car collector world between The Shelby American Registry and the SAAC Registries. The SAAC books are the Bibles for the 62-70 cars that were built as Cobras and Shelbys. The Shelby American Registry covers 1962-date and was created by CS when he was unable to seize the work SAAC had done to create the databases and publish as accurate as possible history of each car. Since SA has brought Team Shelby inhouse think of their registry more as a mailing list of customers.

Also the Shelby American Registry is not published or searchable - otherwise you would learn they (and Ford) have built well over 150,000 cars since 2006 and they are really not "collectable" nor rare and historic.

https://www.shelby.com/Registry

Can I view another owners Registry entry?
At the time being, you cannot look at another owners registered vehicle.

I registered my car in the old system, why do I need to register it again?
Due to consolidating the Registry with Shelby.com, we need to tie registered vehicles to Shelby.com user accounts......

PS - Shelby would issue a "license" to build a car to just about anybody with the cash.   
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

Quote from: halowe on September 11, 2022, 02:48:14 PM
Quote from: Bill on September 11, 2022, 02:43:04 PM

Authentic to what?

8=1968 model year
01=2dr Hardtop
T=6cyl engine

Bill

Authentic as in is this cert actually from SAI. I meant what it might have been used for if the car was indeed an experimental car used by Shelby (as opposed to what the VIN can tell us). I thought I was sending the question to the SAAC registrars by posting my question in this forum??? How do I send to a registrar?
You had best send your question to Shelby American n Los Vegas who may be tracking this car in their registry. The SAAC 68 registrar only tracks the history of the cars built in the 60's and not the modern built Shelby's.

halowe

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 11, 2022, 02:52:17 PM
Lots of confusion exists in the pedestrian car collector world between The Shelby American Registry and the SAAC Registries.

Thanks for explaining that. Shelbys are out of my wheelhouse. I primarily restore (Torino) Cobras and Talladegas.

halowe

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 11, 2022, 02:53:27 PM

You had best send your question to Shelby American n Los Vegas who may be tracking this car in their registry. The SAAC 68 registrar only tracks the history of the cars built in the 60's and not the modern built Shelby's.

How is this cert recognized as being for a modern build? Because it has a CSM number on the cert instead of an SFM number? I'm trying to learn for future reference.

Coralsnake

There were 4450 Shelbys built in 1968. All of the serial numbers are known.   
1968 Shelbys were produced in New Jersey and all serial numbers start off "8T-"

This car and its serial numbers were someones after thought in an attempt to capitalize on the Shelby legacy.

The modern incarnation of Shelby does not have a vintage registry. That registry is kept exclusively by the Shelby American Automobile Club and has been ever since the mid 1970s