News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1964 Galaxie 500 R code lightweight on BAT

Started by OldFordGuy, September 12, 2022, 09:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldFordGuy

1963 1/2 Galaxie 427 R code
1965 Mercury Park Lane Super Marauder convertible

Fast Fords

I had a friend who had a 64 Galaxie Lightweight that had less than 900 miles on the car. It held the speed records in A/S  for the 1/8 and 1/4 mile at the time. It was a 4 speed car. They made 25 automatics and 25 4 speed cars back in the day. He later sold the car at auction.

OldFordGuy

Quote from: Fast Fords on September 12, 2022, 10:43:20 PM
I had a friend who had a 64 Galaxie Lightweight that had less than 900 miles on the car. It held the speed records in A/S  for the 1/8 and 1/4 mile at the time. It was a 4 speed car. They made 25 automatics and 25 4 speed cars back in the day. He later sold the car at auction.

Does he regret selling it now? I mean, these have always been super special cars. If he bought a house with the money back then he did just fine.

Greg

They are really special, I own one of the manual cars that once belonged to Phil Bonner.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Fast Fords

He had a 63 and a 64 Lightweight at the time. I believe his house was paid for as he bought the lightweight's many years ago. They just sat in his garage when he had them He did not drive them very much at all.

6s855

Assume for a minute that the HX is short for the 3rd and 4th digits of a Ford trans part number.  C4HX-6068-?.  I found a part number decoding site https://automotivemileposts.com/ford/fordpartnumbers.html that shows "H" in the 3rd digit as Holman Moody HiPo and "X" in 4th digit as Special or High performance.  Just a theory.

98SVT - was 06GT

Pretty slim on the details. Value is greatly dependent on things like carb dates/number, aluminum parts all the little oddball details the Lightweights had that weren't on the regular R Codes.

The J Car that Miles was killed in had an automatic with it's roots from Ford's drag race program. HX makes sense.
HM first tried the automatic in a MKII - the GT40 was equipped with an experimental two-speed automatic transaxle and driven by Bucknum and the legendary Richie Ginther. Despite a romp by other GT40s in the race, P/1016 experienced problems with the new gearbox and was forced to retire after 13 hours.
Ford & HM kept trying it with the J cars - The automatic transmissions are still under development, but both Lunn and Jacques Passino, chief of Ford Advanced Concepts, believe that a power-shift two-speed unit will ultimately be selected. The alternative is a two-speed dog-shift box. Both types use the same torque converter.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

OldFordGuy