News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

NOS Hubcaps

Started by azdriver, September 18, 2022, 10:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azdriver

Wow, big number... Noticed backside is cad or zinc plated where originals are black.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403880764716

67 GT350

My OPINION: I sure am glad I don't worry about concourse crap! I just like to get my NICE car out and DRIVE it.
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbymann1970

A friend bought a set in the last year for about 2K less.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

Well its "concours" and I guess I missed the connection ?

I guess you are assuming the only people that want nice parts are people building show cars  ?

But, thanks  for sharing  ;)

67 GT350

The connection is. Concourse... perfect cars arnt fun and they cost too much, you got a 68, you want it concourse, then you MUST own those wheel covers! DO you put them on? How do the concourse judges know the lug nuts are concourse with out seeing them, remove the wheel covers and risk damage? Cant do that, its concourse....put it back on the trailer....WOW that was a fun....Very simple connection, when you think about it.
Say it again, glad I do not do concourse, glad I do not need to buy those wheel covers to have the best-est car. Glad I can drive a beautiful nice car. Overpriced wheel covers proves my opinion....A correct car is not a concourse car, in fact it might be a long way from that.
RARE  Signature Delete

Coralsnake

;)

The concours criticism comes from someone that doesn't understand it and therefore could never do it, jealousy or ignorance I am guessing ?

Personally, I agree with the club, there is a place for both show cars and driven cars.
Sometimes they turn out to be one in the same. I recall more than one concours car that also participated in the open track events at SAAC

67 GT350

No not really, a friend mine has a few concourse cars, that's OK, one mans opinion, that's all. If that is what you like, go with it. Stare at it. Look at it on a trailer. Nice. Buy that 6500.00 set of wheel covers...make it concourse. Enjoy.

So is it either a concourse car or a driver? Only two types? Are you sure my criticism comes from someone who does not understand? YOU are guessing. Some might call your statement, "assuming" I assume that is without "me"

My comment stated that I am glad I don't worry about concourse crap, meaning, 6500 to have the best part, so I can build my concourse car? I guess I assumed that only a person would pay that much for a set of wheel covers for a highly restored car, oops, I assumed. Again, my opinion was, not for me....$6500? Yes glad I am not into that. Just a comment.

I have lots of respect for you and the like for all your great advice that you all give people that ask, and I thank you for that. You know a ton more than I do. I just cannot justify that much money for those 4 wheel covers...My opinion.
RARE  Signature Delete

trotrof1

I find concours cars fascinating and knowledge gained by this pursuit. The market prices don't shock me anymore. Everyone can do their own thing in this hobby.

shelbymann1970

Guys the term is CONCOURS. Please stop typing concourse. I will refrain from typing the defining of Concourse but can tell you it doesn't refer to car show judging.  :)
Hubcaps are not only for show cars as I have a few friends here who run the hubcaps. They look cooler than the tired look of 10 spokes on a 68.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

tesgt350

I understand 67 GT350.  I like the looks of the Hubcaps on a 68 better than the 10 Spokes BUT, If were to spend $6,500 on those, I would be scared I might Ding them trying to Install them.  Get a nice set for $400 or less, Polish them up and cruise.  Don't see the Dings at 55MPH.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: tesgt350 on September 19, 2022, 09:09:10 AM
I understand 67 GT350.  I like the looks of the Hubcaps on a 68 better than the 10 Spokes BUT, If were to spend $6,500 on those, I would be scared I might Ding them trying to Install them.  Get a nice set for $400 or less, Polish them up and cruise.  Don't see the Dings at 55MPH.
I'll buy all the nice sets you can find for 400 and give you 500(25 percent return). The last nice set just sold for 1500 I think almost immediately yesterday. I like the hubcaps better also.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

azdriver

Very hard to find the stainless cap rings that have not been mallet dented or curb rashed beyond
Repair unless you get very lucky and find some hiding somewhere. Biggest issue with caps is finding
A set of correct steel wheels....

Pat

KDunne

i always thought finding pristine centers was the challenge.  The pie plates are stainless, and dents can be fixed by the right person

shelbymann1970

Quote from: azdriver on September 19, 2022, 12:06:17 PM
Very hard to find the stainless cap rings that have not been mallet dented or curb rashed beyond
Repair unless you get very lucky and find some hiding somewhere. Biggest issue with caps is finding
A set of correct steel wheels....

Pat
+1
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

Quote from: KDunne on September 19, 2022, 01:34:46 PM
i always thought finding pristine centers was the challenge.  The pie plates are stainless, and dents can be fixed by the right person
I know a guy who vacations in Florida in the winter who has a 68 . A few years back he goes to a swap meet and a guy has some 68 hubcaps. He talks to the guy and finds out he had a lot of them. I believe he bought all of them. He wouldn't say a price and I didn't ask but he said he got a great deal on them. Here is his car he drives.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990