News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

NOS Hubcaps

Started by azdriver, September 18, 2022, 10:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on September 19, 2022, 01:59:01 PM
Quote from: KDunne on September 19, 2022, 01:34:46 PM
i always thought finding pristine centers was the challenge.  The pie plates are stainless, and dents can be fixed by the right person
I know a guy who vacations in Florida in the winter who has a 68 . A few years back he goes to a swap meet and a guy has some 68 hubcaps. He talks to the guy and finds out he had a lot of them. I believe he bought all of them. He wouldn't say a price and I didn't ask but he said he got a great deal on them. Here is his car he drives.
If he bought a lot of original Shelby hubcaps you would think that he would have seen the distinct pattern of how the right side up snake emblem lines up with the valve stem on the factory caps unlike the ones in the picture. He couldn't see the forest for the trees I guess. At least it sounds like he got a deal on some hubcaps.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Side-Oilers

Side question:   Anyone ever weighed the stock wheels with hubcaps versus the 10-spokes? 

I'd have to guess the 10-spokes are at least 33% lighter. 

That does mean a lot if you track your car, or like fast corners, or even just enjoy better ride quality.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Side-Oilers on September 19, 2022, 03:07:34 PM
Side question:   Anyone ever weighed the stock wheels with hubcaps versus the 10-spokes? 

I'd have to guess the 10-spokes are at least 33% lighter. 

That does mean a lot if you track your car, or like fast corners, or even just enjoy better ride quality.
First thing is that I don't think most track venues will allow you to drive with the caps on for safety reasons of them coming off on the rack . I would hate to be doing some spirited driving on the street and have one of my now rare 68 Shelby hubcaps zing off into neverland when I went around a hard corner or came down hard after going over a rise in the road at speed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

KR500

I have weighed the 68 hubcaps, they weigh 5lb, 6oz ea. or about 21 1/2lbs for a set of 4.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

KR500

I currently do not have a bare 10 spoke to weigh. But for comparison the correct steel wheel weighs 23lb 4oz.

Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Side-Oilers

KR500:  Thanks for the weights.

Bob:  I agree with you on the driving scenarios. And I do like the looks of the hubcaps. 

I just find it kind of interesting that Shelby (Ford) would spec the cars with hubcaps that easily flew off during spirited driving. 

(I do realize that other car companies had similar problems.) 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

azdriver

Almost $600 in tax on those caps at $6500 sale price..$7169 delivered...

Pat

shelbydoug

There are two original types. The '67 without the spacer and the '68 version with the spacer cast in.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

QuickSilverShelby

I'd love to buy a NOS set of hubcaps for my 68 but I have looking for 10 years and I have almost given up.  I don't think I'm prepared to pay $6.5k but I did consider it when I saw the ad.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Side-Oilers on September 19, 2022, 03:40:24 PM
KR500:  Thanks for the weights.

Bob:  I agree with you on the driving scenarios. And I do like the looks of the hubcaps. 

I just find it kind of interesting that Shelby (Ford) would spec the cars with hubcaps that easily flew off during spirited driving. 

(I do realize that other car companies had similar problems.)
Right I don't think they came off any easier then other Ford or Brand X hubcaps did. At least I have never heard of anything like that.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 19, 2022, 03:00:44 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on September 19, 2022, 01:59:01 PM
Quote from: KDunne on September 19, 2022, 01:34:46 PM
i always thought finding pristine centers was the challenge.  The pie plates are stainless, and dents can be fixed by the right person
I know a guy who vacations in Florida in the winter who has a 68 . A few years back he goes to a swap meet and a guy has some 68 hubcaps. He talks to the guy and finds out he had a lot of them. I believe he bought all of them. He wouldn't say a price and I didn't ask but he said he got a great deal on them. Here is his car he drives.
If he bought a lot of original Shelby hubcaps you would think that he would have seen the distinct pattern of how the right side up snake emblem lines up with the valve stem on the factory caps unlike the ones in the picture. He couldn't see the forest for the trees I guess. At least it sounds like he got a deal on some hubcaps.
Bob, here are some original hub caps. I don't see a distinct pattern. Do these have the pattern you are talking about?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

The base of the snake should be directly over the valve stem hole. If not, they likely been refurbished in some way or another way to explain it is a vertical line drawn through the center of the snake points directly to the valve stem hole. The emblems were originally indexed

Those damn "concourse" guys screw everything up for the normal guys, lol 😂

Welcome to advanced hubcap class !

azdriver

In looking at the hubcaps it seems like it would be very difficult to access the backside of the rims section to repair dents. Much more difficult than a windshield molding for example.

Pat

Coralsnake

Its not cheap and its usually cheaper to find better stainless rims, but it can be done

Peter L.

Did they actually sell? Remember, asking price is one thing, getting your asking price is another.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack