Author Topic: NOS Hubcaps  (Read 3968 times)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: NOS Hubcaps
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2022, 09:14:17 AM »
Not sold -price was lowered

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2022, 09:49:48 AM »
The base of the snake should be directly over the valve stem hole. If not, they likely been refurbished in some way or another way to explain it is a vertical line drawn through the center of the snake points directly to the valve stem hole. The emblems were originally indexed

Those damn "concourse" guys screw everything up for the normal guys, lol 😂

Welcome to advanced hubcap class !
those hubcaps I had the center emblems and the caps themselves had 40 years of patina in my book when I got them. I believe some not shown are indexed but don't have all my pics on this CPU of those old hubcaps.  Maybe they were assembled Friday after lunch or Monday morning?  ;D ;D ;D
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2022, 09:53:03 AM »
KR500:  Thanks for the weights.

Bob:  I agree with you on the driving scenarios. And I do like the looks of the hubcaps. 

I just find it kind of interesting that Shelby (Ford) would spec the cars with hubcaps that easily flew off during spirited driving. 

(I do realize that other car companies had similar problems.)
Right I don't think they came off any easier then other Ford or Brand X hubcaps did. At least I have never heard of anything like that.

I do recall a service bulletin that suggested that the wheel/tire/hub cap be balanced as a unit?

I think Chevy had an issue with the Corvette hubcaps at one point as well and recommended the same procedure?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2022, 11:46:08 AM »
OK, I may know where thing or two about hubcaps. First of the concours  issue, who says you can’t drive a Concours car and who says people don’t? If you Google a recent thread about the historically accurate GT 350 you’ll see a car with hubcaps that was regularly driven right up to the point where it was sold a couple weeks ago. oh and by the way I didn’t spend $7000 for the hubcaps
Yes as you put in all capitals it is your opinion but your opinion is not the only one that matters. If people want to drive their cars or steer their cars or like their cars on fire it’s up to them
On the hubcap issue I can tell you firsthand finding good centers is by far the hardest thing to do.
I played to relatively easy as long as they’re not totally trash
Also I have a set of an OS hubcaps. I’ll take less than $7000 for them

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2022, 01:11:37 PM »
Side question:   Anyone ever weighed the stock wheels with hubcaps versus the 10-spokes? 

I'd have to guess the 10-spokes are at least 33% lighter. 

That does mean a lot if you track your car, or like fast corners, or even just enjoy better ride quality.
First thing is that I don't think most track venues will allow you to drive with the caps on for safety reasons of them coming off on the rack . I would hate to be doing some spirited driving on the street and have one of my now rare 68 Shelby hubcaps zing off into neverland when I went around a hard corner or came down hard after going over a rise in the road at speed.

I don't think that you would want to do a high speed event with them on? At least one would launch off and hopefully not kill an innocent bystander! It does kind of resembled a UFO?

It is just not possible that actual wheel movement and adherence to that wheel in motion was EVER an engineering consideration with them? That's just a fantasy football type of thinking.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2022, 02:39:30 PM »
Looks like they stay on pretty well  8)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OrEL2OQkvOY

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2022, 03:02:23 PM »
That video is a bit grainy but starting at 1.45 to 2.00 the center caps are visibly aligned with the valve stems with the coiled base closest to the stem. What do you guys see?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2022, 05:47:02 PM »
That video is a bit grainy but starting at 1.45 to 2.00 the center caps are visibly aligned with the valve stems with the coiled base closest to the stem. What do you guys see?
  What I see is how the snake emblems typically come clocked on the hubcaps from the factory.  No surprises.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Peter L.

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2022, 08:17:40 AM »
  On the concours issue, I agree with Tim. Many of these cars are driven. In fact part of the requirement for judging at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance is a 17 mile road trip through the countryside. And not just Shelbys and other cars of that era, were talking million dollar Duesenberg's and multimillion dollar vintage Ferraris.
  Most owners enjoy showing their cars, but also enjoy driving them.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

Peter L.

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2022, 08:19:03 AM »
  Sorry, didn't mean to stray off topic.  ;D
KR 4052

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2022, 08:52:58 AM »
I know a little something about SAAC concours. It is usual procedure if an owner takes the decision to drive his vehicle this is done after judging .

It would be highly unusual to drive the car before and most likely detrimental to your score.

It is however not correct to say they are pushed on and off trailers and never driven or concours is only for rich people.

Peter L.

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2022, 09:07:42 AM »
  Not unusual in this case. Cars are driven before judging and in the case of a tie the driven cars will be given higher consideration than those not driven.
KR 4052

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2022, 11:23:44 AM »
MCA has(had) classes concours driven and concours trailered. Both you get knocked down the same for incorrectness but there was some leeway for driving? I can't remember but maybe bugs in radiator or a chip? Either way I drove my car to the 2003 MCA meet in Dearborn(25 miles) and tried to enter in trailered but they said since it was driven it would be in the driven class. Scored a gold(685 out of 700) and have been driving my car since. Never owned a trailer.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Chad

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2022, 02:02:07 PM »
;)

The concours criticism comes from someone that doesn't understand it and therefore could never do it, jealousy or ignorance I am guessing ?

Personally, I agree with the club, there is a place for both show cars and driven cars.
Sometimes they turn out to be one in the same. I recall more than one concours car that also participated in the open track events at SAAC

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!