News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Quarter sail emblem

Started by RickD, September 18, 2022, 03:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickD

Picked up my first Shelby this summer, 69 GT 350. 481109.  An older restoration but well done.  The quarter panel sail emblem was left off.  In starting my research I have seen 69-70 GTs with and without the emblem.  What is correct for my car?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: RickD on September 18, 2022, 03:59:07 PM
Picked up my first Shelby this summer, 69 GT 350. 481109.  An older restoration but well done.  The quarter panel sail emblem was left off.  In starting my research I have seen 69-70 GTs with and without the emblem.  What is correct for my car?
I assume you are talking exterior. That is kind of a trick question of what is correct . Since the emblems were typically dealer installed there could be many variations all of which would be technically correct. Back in the day when the cars were new in my area it was common for the dealers to put a single snake emblem above the quarter /roof area.  That is what i think is the most typical . Some had the snake emblem and then a emblem underneath that read Cobra  or Shelby . I thought that extra emblem underneath was a bit cheesy IMO. Several different variations including no emblems at all. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

richflorence

That's interesting as mine was delivered with the emblems installed. I was on the lot when it came off of the truck and mine was the only one of the 5 that had the Shelby emblem under the snake. April 14th build, May 6th delivery.
SAAC member since 1976.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: richflorence on September 18, 2022, 09:00:51 PM
That's interesting as mine was delivered with the emblems installed. I was on the lot when it came off of the truck and mine was the only one of the 5 that had the Shelby emblem under the snake. April 14th build, May 6th delivery.
Factory installation of the emblems was sporadic . We have pictures of some factory cars with them installed both single and double emblem. I was a teenager hanging around at the Ford dealer with my best friend at the time who had a father salesman. The cars that came into that dealership typically did not have any emblems. I saw several batches being delivered that year. I had a family member that bought a GT500 in 69 so they were very front in my mind. I enjoyed being picked up at school in it. It ended up being one of the first to have the fuel cap problem but that is another story. ;) I saw many other early 69 Shelby's driving around town that year and the next which could be considered untouched. In my area the several Shelby dealers chose to do the single snake emblem. There was a rash of emblems being stolen off of cars before being delivered to the dealers apparently from documents which is why many were just left off to eliminate that problem and left to the dealer to install.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

RickD

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.