Author Topic: 1967 Taillight Lenses for GT500 350 which are correct  (Read 2520 times)

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 Taillight Lenses for GT500 350 which are correct
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2022, 11:00:59 AM »
Thank you, JD. The photos that you posted here offer a perfect explanation. Nice job! Denny

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 02:45:21 AM »
Ok thanks Bob and JD and all the others. I think so we have talked about this part. Just to clarify the housing is from the 67 cougar and there were no changes on these beside the cable colour.

Bob is a reproduction ok for concourse and is it visible for a judge when they are mounted on the car if they are original or concours repro, if yes how can they differentiate this?

I just want to know this because I like to see what is original from 67 and what not.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 07:41:05 AM »
Not Bob, but Division II Concours does allow for reproduction parts.  I'm sure Bob will comment...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2022, 11:22:09 AM »
Ok thanks Bob and JD and all the others. I think so we have talked about this part. Just to clarify the housing is from the 67 cougar and there were no changes on these beside the cable colour.

Bob is a reproduction ok for concourse and is it visible for a judge when they are mounted on the car if they are original or concours repro, if yes how can they differentiate this?

I just want to know this because I like to see what is original from 67 and what not.
Different concours class's allow different things. SAAC Div II /MCA trailered concours allows reproduction parts as long as they are well made faithful versions compared to the assemblyline original. There are reproduction parts out there that are better then others . Some examples are Repro Battery cables with stickers instead of the engineering numbers printed on cable like original ,repro voltage regulators with the wrong base compared to original. Repro hypo air cleaner lids with the wrong pressed in contours etc. There are excellent repo versions of those same items.  It is impossible to be current on the ever changing list the good ones vs the bad ones but places like this where judges participate can give a better idea when posed the question. In the case of the excellent repro lens you can use it without worry of a deduction . It becomes a difference of over all condition with the lens when trying to determine to use the repo lens vs. using a original IMO.  Yes once installed there is a slight difference in thickness on the repro that is discernable but besides that nuance aspect only being applicable to DIV I or MCA Throughbred concours class it is so minor that it can easily be overlooked. The wired plug on the other hand has the wrong color wire . It needs to be changed or risk deductions .   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2022, 02:15:59 AM »
Thank you, this helped me. So I just have to measure them when they are on the table. I really have some of these but its really tough to divide between original and repro. Thank you all.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2022, 10:59:29 AM »
Just to be clear the thickness is in the plastic of the face portion . The physically outside dimensions are identical.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2022, 03:19:15 PM »
Might also compare how red or tint of each against one another as different batches and runs of the lens can differ and really stand out in certain light conditions. Especially on service replacements. Don't want to discover this on the show field the day of a show.  ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2022, 02:56:54 AM »
yes I have a definite original set here and believe me its so hard to see a difference in the red compared to the new good ones. Ok maybe the repro is really very close and good. Normally there is just one option to 100% find out what is original and what repro. I will try it and make an update here. I just had an idea.