Author Topic: 69 GT500 - Trap door panel assembly question.  (Read 608 times)

69 GT500 - Trap door panel assembly question.
« on: September 20, 2022, 02:27:13 PM »
In advance, my apology for asking these questions, but I have looked in the service manual and other resources, but cannot find the answer.  Trap door panel assembly question.  I am finally ready to assembly the black plastic panels around the trap door.  I have the two rear side panels in place, and the overhead panel (under the rear window) ready to go. I have the AMD rivet and screw kit for my hardware. Since I didn’t take the car apart, I would like to run MY thoughts by you experts, as to how I believe the assembly should go BACK together, HOWEVER, I do have some questions. The way I see it, the top corner hole of each side panel sits under A corresponding hole in the overhead panel. My thoughts are that the large rivet goes in the side panel hole, then the hole in the overhead piece, and I would guess that the rivet should then go through a corresponding hole in the sheet metal at the top of the corner.  HOWEVER, I do not have any holes in THE SHEET METAL in this area. Or do I only rivet the two panels together without going in the sheet metal?  If this large rivet does go in to the sheet metal, it appears that it will pull down hard on the overhead panel.  I also have the smaller rivets, that I believe go through the vertical sides of each side panel and rivet to the sheet metal.  I only have hole opening for two rivets on each panel AND on each side of the sheet metal. Am I guessing correctly, and if not, PLEASE set me straight?