News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Connecting rods part number for GT500?

Started by Kyle, July 30, 2022, 02:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Quote from: 430dragpack on October 09, 2022, 09:36:47 PM
Do you have notes on large rod bolts or small?

No I don't and the amount in my survey is small so please don't base hard choices solely on my data IMHO in this subject
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

Quote from: J_Speegle on October 10, 2022, 12:04:19 PM
Based on my records and the examples I've documented - C6AE-C

No I don't and the amount in my survey is small so please don't base hard choices solely on my data IMHO in this subject
[/quote]

C6AE-C are small bolts.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

430dragpack

Quote from: shelbydoug on October 12, 2022, 09:56:28 AM

C6AE-C are small bolts.
[/quote]
Not all of them are.  The '66PI solid lifter engines had C6AE-C casting rods with 13/32 bolts.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 430dragpack on October 12, 2022, 01:48:24 PM

C6AE-C are small bolts.
Not all of them are.  The '66PI solid lifter engines had C6AE-C casting rods with 13/32 bolts.
[/quote]

A non-Shelby application as rare as a Druid priest at a meeting of the Ecumenical Council in Rome.

This is an academic discussion only worthy of it's own chapter in an historical text book. Not an instruction manual on how to build a 67 GT500 428 PI.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

430dragpack

Quote from: shelbydoug on October 13, 2022, 07:56:02 AM
Quote from: 430dragpack on October 12, 2022, 01:48:24 PM

C6AE-C are small bolts.

A non-Shelby application as rare as a Druid priest at a meeting of the Ecumenical Council in Rome.

This is an academic discussion only worthy of it's own chapter in an historical text book. Not an instruction manual on how to build a 67 GT500 428 PI.
[/quote]

Kyle is building an engine and is asking for instructions. 😉

Then why was the big 66PI balancer used if it didn't use the big bolt rods, that has precedent set by the 406/427 engines using both together in high performance applications.  Just take out the 66PI solid cam, slap the 390GT heads on and C7ZX intake on and run it!  The 66PI probably is the same rarity as the 67 GT500.

TLea

I think we're confusing part numbers with casting numbers. The casting could've either been machined for the large or the small rod bolts. The part number would designate the difference

shelbydoug

Quote from: TLea on October 13, 2022, 01:05:23 PM
I think we're confusing part numbers with casting numbers. The casting could've either been machined for the large or the small rod bolts. The part number would designate the difference

That is arguably true but the issue is that there is no way to positively pin the Ford part number on an item like this. Only the Engineering number.

There is no ink stamp or factory tag ever applied to them as far as I have seen.

The original factory assembly tag applied to the right cylinder head would indicate the Ford engine assembly code which should, if original, indicate the rod that was in the engine from Ford.

Good luck with that since that is for the entire engine assembly and would not deal with individual components.

Both versions of the rod definitely existed but to this day I have never seen another identification on the rods other then the engineering number.

Finding a set of these rods with the larger bolts there is no way now to tell if those bolts were changed out or are original to the assembly themselves.

What I saw, probably as a Johnny Come Lately, was a service tag on the over the counter replacement part. As with other Ford Service parts, they were not necessarily the "as installed assembly line part" and if memory serves, was a C7 engineering id on the rod.

This to me is all just an academic discussion in futility? What's the point now?

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TLea

The only point of all this is so the poster can get the correct rods. If he's looking and asking we would assume that he does not have his originals therefore he just needs to find the correct engineering number and measure the rod bolt diameter and that should satisfy his request. The farther benefit is to inform that the engineering number does not necessarily mean it is the correct rod and it is up to him to discern the difference

Kyle

Quote from: TLea on October 15, 2022, 07:34:05 AM
The only point of all this is so the poster can get the correct rods. If he's looking and asking we would assume that he does not have his originals therefore he just needs to find the correct engineering number and measure the rod bolt diameter and that should satisfy his request. The farther benefit is to inform that the engineering number does not necessarily mean it is the correct rod and it is up to him to discern the difference

Yes I need to know the correct Assembly Line cast numbers and the size of the bolts.

TLea

My opinion is early PI would have C6AE C w 13/32 rod bolts. Kyle I wouldn't sweat if you only find the 3/8 version. Any competent machine shop can handle the change to larger bolts.

TA Coupe

But then what would the correct nuts and bolts be?

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.