News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1969 Cougar Eliminator question

Started by Coralsnake, September 23, 2022, 10:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

I am pretty sure this is the 3 wire alternator headlight harness on a Cougar Eliminator.

Can anyone tell me what the red wire with the eyelet (on right) is for? And where it goes?

Royce Peterson

Looks like it connects to the + side of the starter solenoid. I don't have a 1969 shop manual otherwise I could look at the charging system  schematic and be sure.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

J_Speegle

What was quick and handy - 70 version - since it was clear and at a good angle for your purposes. 69's appear to be the same just not as nice of a picture

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

Royce Peterson

I can't tell from the picture Pete but if the terminal lug has a yellow plastic base then it connects to the STARTER side of the solenoid where Jeff's arrow is pointing. This is the proper place for the Low Fuel prove out wire. It comes on when the car is low on fuel obviously, but the wire in question lights the bulb any time the key is turned to "START".

Coralsnake

I have confirmed that this the low fuel wire. The wiring diagram shows it as a separate lead not in the headlight harness. Has anyone seen this or is it part of the headlight harness?

Could the standard Cougar have a low fuel light?

Royce Peterson

An Eliminator is a "standard" Cougar but they have their own litany of equipment. I don't know the answer Pete. Dave W probably does.

Coralsnake

Thanks Royce

Yes the wiring changes as well. Im getting close to solving this. Here is where I am at: the 1969 eliminator/xr7 headlight Harness is the same as the Mustang "non tach " harness.

I believe there is one difference. It is this low fuel wire. If I can confirm that I will have them built.

I dont post on the cougar forums, but if anyone is interested in a new headlight harness for a 69 cougar and wants it at wholesale cost, they should contact me and we can compare notes

Special Ed

The cougar low fuel option has a unique fuel tank sender unit with extra wiring and the 69 shelbys use cougar tailight wireing but only use 1 wire in the  2 plug fuel tank sending wire that was for the unique 69 cougar low fuel warning option.

Coralsnake

Ed, does the power feed for the low fuel warning light run through the headlight harness? (the wire shown here)

Has anyone seen a 1969 Mustang with the low fuel light?

Special Ed

Just looked at my 69 cougar and the red eyelet wire goes on solinoid post with the  black starter cable and its in the wiring with the other  starter solinoid wires so its unique to cougar.

Coralsnake

Great job and helpful thanks! The wiring book shows it separate from the headlight harness which apparently did not happen.

I understand now. The separate lead was used only on standard Cougars with the low fuel option. The headlight harness wire is for the XR7 and Eliminator cars