News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Scammers on our site

Started by 1175, September 23, 2022, 02:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

He also send me an pm, please delete this guy
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 1969shelbygt350 on September 23, 2022, 10:15:28 PM
George told he's from New Orleans!  Sometimes I wish I could confront these scammers.
A good friend of mine has spent probably 10s of thousands(10-20-30K?) on NOS parts from club/forum members without being scammed once. I posted wanted ads for him. Got a few scammers over the last 2 years. Most selling parts here are usually known by others. Ask for references or talk on the phone. No phone beware.  Also ask if they have that part that doesn't exist-it worked for my friend in one of the instances. If they say "yes I do!" then you know the drill. Good luck on your parts search. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

You can't tell where someone is located by identifying the area code and number that they give you. It can be anywhere in the world.

There is an on line service where for $10 a month, you can select a location and number that people will call and it will automatically be forwarded to the real number. The Tennessee area is popular for some reason at the moment. South Carolina and Florida come up a lot too recently.

It is perfectly legal and what scammers are using.

As of late, celebrities are using the service to avoid stalkers and you can not get the actual location without a court order. That is tough to do considering that for instance that 901 area code is being purchased by maybe someone in Nigeria and you would have to go to the court in Nigeria to file the complaint.

So the nature of the system shields the original callers location and name.

The best way to identify someone as legit is to ask or use terms that the electronic translator does not find. It is the same procedure that the US Army used in Europe in WWII to identify Nazi spies in US uniforms. If they didn't know who Joe DiMaggio was then that sent up a caution flag and a bullet through the head.

I just had one that didn't know what robo calls were. Sometimes I play with them but it's becoming burdensome as of late it's so common.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

honker

Thank you shelbydoug, very informative post about how these people operate, we get lots of calls using numbers in our area, it's

come to the point that we don't even answer the phone unless we recognize the number, and if it's really important they will leave

a message.

Mike

shelbydoug

Quote from: honker on September 25, 2022, 10:32:59 AM
Thank you shelbydoug, very informative post about how these people operate, we get lots of calls using numbers in our area, it's

come to the point that we don't even answer the phone unless we recognize the number, and if it's really important they will leave

a message.

Mike

It probably has been going on for awhile and I'm just catching up with it now so I'm sure that the scammers are scoffing at my posts here now as well.

Within the last week or so, I've been getting texts with videos asking for political donations to "candidates" who I've never heard of and suspect that don't really exist.

Keep in mind that if a person gets enough donations to their "campaign", they don't need to get elected and maybe won't need a job anymore either? ;)

Contribute at your own risk.

I remember making a post/comment on Burt Reynolds Facebook page. As a result I got a message back from "Reynolds" saying that I should donate to his "Humanitarian Aid Fund".

This is interesting since at the time, he was already dead about 15 years.

It seems that Facebook allows others to put up "tribute fan pages" which essentially permit the imposter to pretend they are the real thing. So the limit of scams out there are sometimes difficult to detect.

IF someone claiming to be a celeb sends you a text asking you to contribute to their fund, just reply back to them to send you a "selfie video" mentioning you by name and saying, "now Doug, do I look like a 400 pound fat guy sitting in my underwear on the bed in my Mother's basement?" It won't happen.

Of course, even if they did, then it's disturbing that this "celeb" is hitting YOU up for money! It just never stops. There's a lotta' scum out there. ::)

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Drew Pojedinec

I have been getting emails about how I still owe USP some money for shipping boxes 😂

shelbydoug

Quote from: Drew Pojedinec on September 25, 2022, 12:24:35 PM
I have been getting emails about how I still owe USP some money for shipping boxes 😂

It doesn't stop with just emails. Here in the NYC area, the main power supplier is ConEd.

We have had pairs of people knocking on doors, dressed up as ConEd employees complete with photo ids.

They attempt to pray on elderly. They tell the people they are there to collect a past due unpaid bill and they are about to turn off the power if not paid to them immediately.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

Quote from: Kent on September 25, 2022, 03:34:13 AM

+1.   Mr Moderator...can you help?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Scode67FB

Quote from: Side-Oilers on September 25, 2022, 04:12:35 PM

I'm surprised this hasn't happened already. I'm a member on several automotive forums and, as soon as these guys are known, they get booted. Those sites seem to have one advantage over this site. On those sites you can easily see the poster's join date and post count. If a guy joined three hours ago and has six posts that are all replies to "wanted" ads, that should give you a clue. We all need to be very careful, both buyers and sellers.
Fortunately, I haven't had any attempted scams on me from any of the sites I frequent lately. I have, however, received three E-mails in the past week from "Microsoft Security" stating they had noticed "unusual login attempts" on my account and were locking my E-mail until I resolved the issue. They provided a link for me to go to to "fix the problem." I thought it was kind of funny that they sent me an E-mail to tell me that they had locked me out of my E-mail.

Coralsnake

Wait, you guys think there is a moderator?

;)

TA Coupe

Scode67FB, just click or tap on a user's name and you can see their info.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

FL SAAC

Quote from: Scode67FB on September 26, 2022, 01:22:08 AM

I'm surprised this hasn't happened already. I'm a member on several automotive forums and, as soon as these guys are known, they get booted. Those sites seem to have one advantage over this site. On those sites you can easily see the poster's join date and post count. If a guy joined three hours ago and has six posts that are all replies to "wanted" ads, that should give you a clue. We all need to be very careful, both buyers and sellers.
Fortunately, I haven't had any attempted scams on me from any of the sites I frequent lately. I have, however, received three E-mails in the past week from "Microsoft Security" stating they had noticed "unusual login attempts" on my account and were locking my E-mail until I resolved the issue. They provided a link for me to go to to "fix the problem." I thought it was kind of funny that they sent me an E-mail to tell me that they had locked me out of my E-mail.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Forum Guide

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 26, 2022, 07:09:41 AM
Wait, you guys think there is a moderator?

;)

Of course... but report incidents in threads by Reporting a Post; report PM incidents by forward to pitcrew@saac.com

Forum Guide

His account has been deleted and banned.... please report if "he" resurfaces under another name.

Bill

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0