Author Topic: Fuel Pump Replacement  (Read 928 times)

67gt500

• View Profile
Fuel Pump Replacement
« on: September 23, 2022, 06:16:06 PM »
So i replaced the fuel pump on the 302 because it was pumping 9 PSI and causing a couple of problems.. I brought a Carter replacement and it pumps at 8-9 PSI too..
Does any one sell a pump with the right PSI.. 4-5.5 or is it hit and miss.. I don't want to run a regulator if possible

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Pump Replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 06:46:26 PM »
So i replaced the fuel pump on the 302 because it was pumping 9 PSI and causing a couple of problems.. I brought a Carter replacement and it pumps at 8-9 PSI too..
Does any one sell a pump with the right PSI.. 4-5.5 or is it hit and miss.. I don't want to run a regulator if possible
  What problems are you experiencing  at 9 PSI ?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67gt500

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 07:02:33 PM »
fuel leaking into places it shouldn't 

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 01:14:30 PM »
I'm currently using a Carter pump in my GT 350 Competition replica, and it is steady at 5.5 psi.

Don
gt350bp

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 01:59:54 PM »
You have a "overly aggressive" Fuel Pump.

Depending on the engines need 5-7 PSI. (or greater in some cases if the engine has been hot rodded / altered)

But leaking in other places just might be that it's  showing you week points in your system

Get another brand pump other than Carter,  or rebuild your existing one

Good luck
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

67gt500

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 04:55:22 PM »
Yes, I know I have a overly aggressive fuel pump.. hence my question.. My 67 GT500 fuel pump, pumps 5.5PSI, and that’s where it should be.. But, when you go out and purchase a stock pump, and it is pushing out 8-9 PSI, that’s way to much pressure.. And yes I can go buy another brand, and maybe get a pump with the correct rating.. That’s why I was asking if anyone had a preference, knowing it’s correct.. before I end up with a stack of new pumps

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 05:56:59 PM »
Yes, I know I have a overly aggressive fuel pump.. hence my question.. My 67 GT500 fuel pump, pumps 5.5PSI, and that’s where it should be.. But, when you go out and purchase a stock pump, and it is pushing out 8-9 PSI, that’s way to much pressure.. And yes I can go buy another brand, and maybe get a pump with the correct rating.. That’s why I was asking if anyone had a preference, knowing it’s correct.. before I end up with a stack of new pumps
FYI you are  not going to be able to buy a over the counter fuel pump correct for your GT500. You have to take a original core and have it rebuilt or buy one already rebuilt if you want a correct one . You should be able to buy a over the counter one that functions and will work. The factory fuel pump has a integral fuel filter made into the housing because the duel four carbs do not have a conventional filter like typical carbs do. You will need to run a filter between the fuelpump and carb . Something like the 427 inline fuel filter looks more stock and like it is supposed to be there although it is not . At the very least a generic inline filter needs to be plumbed in . There are alternatives like another pump ,cutting the internal diaphragm spring down to decrease pressure etc.  9 PSI is not normal for the typical FE replacement Carter pump that I have ever seen or heard of.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67gt500

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 06:04:54 PM »
I'm currently using a Carter pump in my GT 350 Competition replica, and it is steady at 5.5 psi.

Don
gt350bp

Perfect.. Maybe it's the "China made" one i brought that's the problem  ;D