News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Wiring in trunk

Started by tahart, September 25, 2022, 02:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tahart

I need som help understanding wiring in my 70 GT 500 trunk area. 1) there is a single wire coming from fuel indicator in gas tank, that has a male end on it and there is about 12" of it into the trunk. There is no other wire even close to it to plug into. Is something missing? See 1st photo. 2) over on left side there is a single short wire with female end, a two wire less with a typical male/female connector, and then a bunch of wires going in a black plastic box. See 2nd picture. Is the single wire for the fuel indicator wire? There is no electric antenna motor. Just that tube you can see in the picture. Is the 2 wire lead intended for an electric antenna motor? Did all Shelby's come with electric antenna motors? And what is the black box? 3) I think I'm missing some type of floor in my trunk? See 3rd picture and other pictures. I would think there should be something protecting the gas tank.
Comments and advise please?

Coralsnake

The fuel tank sender wire is routed towards the left side of the car (usually under some rubber j hooks) and plugs into the female side of the double connector. A double connector is for the low fuel sender option, not used on Shelbys

The black box is for the sequential lights and hangs hooks beside the left trunk drop off.

You need a tar mat insulator and a trunk mat to finish off the trunk. There is also a particle board that sits under the spare tire.

1969 Shelbys did not use power antennas . The antenna wire is routed above the trap door

tahart

Tks! That leaves that short single wire with a female end? It's in the 1st photo up at top. What is that?

J_Speegle

Quote from: tahart on September 25, 2022, 02:36:23 PM
Tks! That leaves that short single wire with a female end? It's in the 1st photo up at top. What is that?

That should access the fuel level sender at the front of the gas tank

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

Okay, if its yellow thats the sender wire. Trying to do it from memory. Mr Speegles  pictures do not lie

tahart

I plugged the wire from the sending unit into the female side of the 2 wire lead and the gas gauge now works. That 2 wire lead was the only wire that reached the wire from the sending unit. Zoom in on 2nd picture and you will see that very short single wire at top left. It has a female end. Way to short to reach the sending unit wire anyway. What is that wire for?

J_Speegle

Quote from: tahart on September 25, 2022, 03:53:44 PM
I plugged the wire from the sending unit into the female side of the 2 wire lead and the gas gauge now works. That 2 wire lead was the only wire that reached the wire from the sending unit. Zoom in on 2nd picture and you will see that very short single wire at top left. It has a female end. Way to short to reach the sending unit wire anyway. What is that wire for?

Can't make  it out clearly in your picture but you might be describing the plug for the trunk light attached to the trunk lid

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

tahart

I don't have a trunk light. Did all of them come with trunk lights? How did the wire go from there into the cavity of the deck lid? Just a naked single wire?

rhjanes

Shouldn't there also be a piece of thick cardboard type stuff on that left side drop off, which would support (sort of) stuff in the trunk and hold the trunk mat level over to the fender?   My 1969 coupe has such a board as does my 1970 Mach. 

My 1970 Mach, IIRC, the trunk light wire runs up that left side wheel arch, then has a section to be slack as it runs into the trunk lid.  The light is towards the back edge and has a thing in it so it switches off as the trunk goes from open to closed. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Coralsnake

Yes they all had trunk lights

J_Speegle

Quote from: rhjanes on September 25, 2022, 04:56:27 PM
Shouldn't there also be a piece of thick cardboard type stuff on that left side drop off, which would support (sort of) stuff in the trunk and hold the trunk mat level over to the fender?   My 1969 coupe has such a board as does my 1970 Mach. 

Yes in this case, as mentioned above, it covers the box that controls the taillight flashing pattern

You can see just the edge of it in the past picture posted

J_Speegle

Quote from: tahart on September 25, 2022, 04:47:10 PM
I don't have a trunk light. Did all of them come with trunk lights? How did the wire go from there into the cavity of the deck lid? Just a naked single wire?

As you can see in the last picture I posted above the fastback came with two wires in the assembly. One was for ground since the trunk lid was plastic/fiberglass. Only one wire was needed if the car was a Shelby convertible since it had a metal trunk lid liner.

Trunk light wires on a fastback that go to the light were placed between the outer inner panel before they were bonded together then the loss "tail" that would connect to the wire loom was wrapped around itself and shoved into the drivers side trunk lid hinge opening when the lid was painted - prior to being installed on a car.

Because of this you typically find exterior paint on parts of that wire and the insulating outer liner/jacket of the positive wire where it runs from the trunk lid to the plug i. You can often find a shadow in the exterior color applied to the bottom side of the trunk lid from a piece of masking tape that was used to hold the wire(s) in place and even sometimes the painted masking tape still is there on an unrestored example

shelbymann1970

Sometimes that trunk light male lead was taped to the trunk lid underneath. Also there would be paint on the wire loom also. See pic for taped off area
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)