Author Topic: License plate frame dimensions  (Read 2167 times)

sd427

• SAAC Member
  • Member LA SAAC
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle club
License plate frame dimensions
« on: June 08, 2018, 01:05:25 PM »
I see two styles of Cobra license plate frames.  I like the one with all 4 mounting holes, but have limited space.  The frame with 4 holes is available from www.carrollshelbymerchandise.com, while the one with 2 holes is available from Tony Branda www.cobranda.com, and likely other sources.  Can anyone tell me the outside height dimension of either frame?

gjz30075

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: License plate frame dimensions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 07:38:37 PM »
My 4 hole'r measures 6 1/4" x 12 1/8" .  I got it from a friend and I don't know its origins
Greg Z
6S2249

sd427

• SAAC Member
  • Member LA SAAC
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle club
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 08:49:45 PM »
Thanks Greg. It’s about 6” between the light and the trunk handle. I am trying to mount the plate as flush to the body as I can, maybe I’ll try one of those, and see how it would look if I grind a little notch at the bottom.

sd427

• SAAC Member
  • Member LA SAAC
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle club
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 06:53:33 PM »
Can anyone provide the height of the 2 hole style?

SFM6S2017

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 07:57:19 PM »
I just received a 2 hole frame from Mustangs Unlimited for the Cobra I just purchased :-) and since it's still sitting on my kitchen counter....here you go: It's 6 1/4" high X 12 1/4" wide.
I just heard a story about these frames last weekend at a cruise-in from a former charter SAAC member. He had 200 of these made and  took them to SAAC 2 or 3 (I believe he said) and sold all of them for there for $10 each. He said they were made by Buddy Bar and had the backs of them embossed with their name on them. Perhaps one of the founding members might recall any of this occurring.
Jay

sd427

• SAAC Member
  • Member LA SAAC
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle club
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 01:50:29 AM »
Thanks Jay.  If the 2 hole variety is not any shorter, then I'll try the 4 hole style.  I had a license plate bracket that only attached to the top of the license plate, and apparently, turbulent air behind the car made the plate wobble back and forth, until the bracket broke and I lost my license plate on an elevated freeway transition road.  I went back through, and the plate was nowhere to be seen, I think it went over the side.  I made a bracket that attaches to the car behind both the light and the trunk release handle, so I want to use all 4 holes to hold the plate and frame to my new bracket.  This new bracket is flush with the trunk, and that extra height for the license plate frame will likely interfere with the trunk handle.  The license plate itself, with a thin plain frame (no wording, etc) just fits between the light and handle, not much room for the overhang of the license frames that have wording at the bottom.  If the interference is minimal, I'll see if some minor grinding on the bottom of the frame will provide enough clearance to allow the plate and frame to stay flush to the body.