News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

New toy

Started by 98SVT - was 06GT, September 29, 2022, 07:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

OK guys since they made me retire I have been looking for an around town car. We no longer need 2 driver/commute cars and our Excursion. The wife has her 04 Tbird toy and I've got my 98 32 valve SVT toy (yeah I just can't bring myself to call it Cobra). So I figured I'd pick up a Ford Think (green with the minilite looking wheels) that could double as a cart at the track. They've made some great strides with lithium packs and modified controls to get them up to about 40-45 mph.
Now the problem sets in - they are called a NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle) and are limited to 25 mph and restricted to streets with limits below 45 mph. So all in all as useless as any other EV.
Then I struck upon this ICE idea - It's a 1929 with many mods 1936 16" 40 spoke wheels with radials, real main & rod bearings, high compression head, touring cam, later syncro trans, overdrive, rumble seat, 6v pos ground alternator, etc, etc. It was 200 miles away and the guy said he'd deliver for fuel. The wife is happy now she has 2 trunks to fill up for a trip. I'm happy because I've got a toy to tinker with - so is it a tinkertoy? We off loaded it in Pasadena to save the guy and hour and I drove it home on Route 66.
I guess now I'll have to join the Model A club and spend one morning a week at the airport coffee shop dining on SOS with the rest of the old farts. I wonder what they talk about - it ain't bench racing. Even with the OD recommended speed is 55.

Somehow I seem to see this looming on the horizon along with A/C. https://burtzengine.net/
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

TOBKOB

Congratulations...You'll love the "A"...We just returned Sunday from a 650 mile tour to S. GA in our '31 Sport Coupe and had a blast... :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

FL SAAC

Congratulations and enjoy the ride  !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Side-Oilers

Brett, that's pretty bitchin.  Quite the change from your track car.

How long before an Ardun flathead or a 427 goes in?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Side-Oilers on September 29, 2022, 11:31:16 PM

With all the Corvette hate here I don't think a zora AR-kus DUN-tov heads would be a good idea. Most people forget Zora and Shelby led somewhat parallel lives. Zora went to Ford first and when refused he went to Chevy. CS went to Chevy first and when they wouldn't entertain his idea he went to Ford. Now imagine if Ford had hired Duntov would the T8 Thunderbird in reality be the latest Ford GT and the 1,300 or so Corvettes built by Shelby on an obscure English chassis be the rare sought after marque?

Lots of choices for OHV Cragar, Miller, even Ford Y head.

How about a whole Donovan aluminum engine?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 30, 2022, 03:11:43 PM
Quote from: Side-Oilers on September 29, 2022, 11:31:16 PM

With all the Corvette hate here I don't think a zora AR-kus DUN-tov heads would be a good idea. Most people forget Zora and Shelby led somewhat parallel lives. Zora went to Ford first and when refused he went to Chevy. CS went to Chevy first and when they wouldn't entertain his idea he went to Ford. Now imagine if Ford had hired Duntov would the T8 Thunderbird in reality be the latest Ford GT and the 1,300 or so Corvettes built by Shelby on an obscure English chassis be the rare sought after marque?

Lots of choices for OHV Cragar, Miller, even Ford Y head.

How about a whole Donovan aluminum engine?

That Donovan is one killer set up
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

TOBKOB

QuoteSomehow I seem to see this looming on the horizon along with A/C. https://burtzengine.net/

I'm hearing some good reports on the Burtz engine...Before you start tearing it apart I recommend going on some back road tours...lots of beautiful scenery off the interstate highways that most folks don't slow down long enough to see...try it you may like it... :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

deathsled

Keep it stock? It looks like a well preserved time machine. Either way, congrats on your acquisition!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"