Author Topic: Brand New American Gas Powered Vehicle Clicks Off 10.5 in 1/4 mile  (Read 2140 times)

68stangcjfb

• SAAC Member
  • Long Island New York
    • View Profile
Re: Brand New American Gas Powered Vehicle Clicks Off 10.5 in 1/4 mile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2022, 01:02:10 PM »
People are going to buy these cars. Some of them will be wrapped in a bubble with a few miles on them and never see the light of day until it's time for the auction. Some of their owners will actually put them on a dyno and take them to a race track. People will record them going down the track. If the numbers recorded are what they're claiming, hats off to Chevrolet for making such a fast car! If you put the numbers in an internet quarter mile calculator (670 horsepower, I figured 3650 pounds with driver and good traction) It shows a 10.73 et at 126.9 mph. Upping the power to 715 got a 10.50 et at 130.1 mph. Is it a ringer or is Chevrolet claiming less horsepower than it actually has? Time will tell. But it certainly wouldn't be the first time a car manufacturer intentionally under rated their horsepower numbers. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 02:25:07 PM by 68stangcjfb »
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s, 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s, 60 Thunderbird, 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd, 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery, 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr, 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 99 Sable, 99 Jeep Cherokee, 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heratige Special

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2022, 02:14:21 PM »
We must learn to enjoy and celebrate the ( Ford or Chevy ) moment as soon you will only hear the whisper of the windings of an electric motor.....
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2022, 03:04:18 PM »
We must learn to enjoy and celebrate the ( Ford or Chevy ) moment as soon you will only hear the whisper of the windings of an electric motor.....
Unless you live in FL and are without electricity.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2022, 03:17:01 PM »
Unless you live in FL and are without electricity.

Thank the Lawd for fossil fueled generators humming through out the night n day  !

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2022, 03:59:06 PM »
Tony, is that you in the last pic?
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2022, 04:09:13 PM »

Why yes it is....find me attractive?

We have a picture of you also swimming after the hurricane,  looking good Lolito  !
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 04:41:23 PM by FL SAAC »

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2022, 04:25:35 PM »

Why yes it is....find be attractive?

We have a picture of you also swimming after the hurricane,  looking good Lolito  !

Yikes! No wonder you need a 600-700 horsepower car...
Sorry, buddy, I'm 5'11" 165 pounds...AND a lot younger than you. LOL.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2022, 04:29:10 PM »
Van,
When you were at Motor Trend, I was not. As you know, they went through several new owners, and several editors during this time. The Aussie guy that was installed as so called 'editor' was a nice guy, however he was 'told' what to do/say from upstairs. All of our 1/4 mile stuff was done @ Fontana. I will never forget the test 'results'. As an example, lets say they tested a supercharged Jag....its actual ET was 14.78. Motor Trend's GPS tracker/timer would say 14.99. So, what did the editors 'claim' it did in print? 13.90. FALSE!! Saw it with my own eyes and through the video cameras lens as a witness. Of course, the video was edited to show only it going down the strip. Only a voice over to say 13.90...lol. One last thing about MT--when they were conducting one of their famous 'Car Of The Year' award, I remember filming it, and the one they picked was always dead last in the tests. It also broke down many times. I asked John the MT-TV host why? He was honest with me and said: "We had too. Range Rover paid for it" There ya go...
Whats ironic about all of this, test ringers were used in the sixties also as Van mentioned. Think your 426 Hemi ran 12s...hah! Fake news. Speaking of Jim Wangers, I actually asked him about that famous test GTO...he had a nice chuckle...and also told me about his later Firebird tests...thats for another thread.

HOLY CRAP!  I'd heard that things went downhill after I left, but that's what "the person who left" ALWAYS wants to hear, right?

I do know that the guys on what I called my "A Team" (that were still at MT for a year or so after I left) told me. They said that the rules had turned to shite on the one hand, and yet became draconian on the other.  A couple of those staff editors left on their own accord, because of the heavy-handed bureaucracy.

Brett is correct that COY is (was?) a huge revenue generator. Thus the spinoffs of Truck of the Year, Import Car of the Year and SUV of the Year (we soon allowed import cars into the formerly domestic-only Car of the Year award.)  That's why I and my staff took it all seriously.

And, also to give the readers a thorough test and evaluation of the most significant new vehicles.  I changed the testing parameters to put lesser emphasis on track performance and added categories for quality, safety, technical design, styling, and value. That helped level the playing field in the years when you're comparing a widely varied field such as a Tercel, Corvette, Mercedes C Class, and Lincoln Town Car. There's no way to equitably pick a winner from that group simply by comparing against each other on test track.

It ain't rocket science, but we did take it seriously and did the best job we could. Anyone who doubts me can talk to any of my former "A Team" staffers themselves.  (As any owner/manager knows: People that you've fired might have axes to grind, and thus make up shite to say against you. I know who those people are.)   
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 04:40:52 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2022, 04:36:01 PM »

I once dated someone like you....5-11 and 165

Back to the topic at hand:

Mucho fasto  !

60 mph: 2.6 sec 
100 mph: 5.9 sec
130 mph: 10.3 sec
1/4-Mile: 10.5 sec @ 131 mph

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2022, 04:39:09 PM »
Van,
When you were at Motor Trend, I was not. As you know, they went through several new owners, and several editors during this time. The Aussie guy that was installed as so called 'editor' was a nice guy, however he was 'told' what to do/say from upstairs. All of our 1/4 mile stuff was done @ Fontana. I will never forget the test 'results'. As an example, lets say they tested a supercharged Jag....its actual ET was 14.78. Motor Trend's GPS tracker/timer would say 14.99. So, what did the editors 'claim' it did in print? 13.90. FALSE!! Saw it with my own eyes and through the video cameras lens as a witness. Of course, the video was edited to show only it going down the strip. Only a voice over to say 13.90...lol. One last thing about MT--when they were conducting one of their famous 'Car Of The Year' award, I remember filming it, and the one they picked was always dead last in the tests. It also broke down many times. I asked John the MT-TV host why? He was honest with me and said: "We had too. Range Rover paid for it" There ya go...
Whats ironic about all of this, test ringers were used in the sixties also as Van mentioned. Think your 426 Hemi ran 12s...hah! Fake news. Speaking of Jim Wangers, I actually asked him about that famous test GTO...he had a nice chuckle...and also told me about his later Firebird tests...thats for another thread.

HOLY CRAP!  I'd heard that things went downhill after I left, but that's what "the person who left" ALWAYS wants to hear, right?

I do know that the guys on what I called my "A Team" (that were still at MT for a year or so after I left) told me. They said that the rules had turned to shite on the one hand, and yet became draconian on the other.  A couple of those staff editors left on their own accord, because of the weird set of new rules.

Brett is correct that COY is (was?) a huge revenue generator. Thus the spinoffs of Truck of the Year, Import Car of the Year and SUV of the Year (we soon allowed import cars into the formerly domestic-only Car of the Year award.)  That's why I and my staff took it all seriously.

And, also to give the readers a thorough test and evaluation of the most significant new vehicles.  I changed the testing parameters to put lesser emphasis on track performance and added categories for quality, safety, technical design, styling, and value. That helped level the playing field in the years when you're comparing a widely varied field such as a Tercel, Corvette, Mercedes C Class, and Lincoln Town Car. There's no way to pick a winner from that group simply by comparing against each other on test track.

It ain't rocket science, but we did take it seriously and did the best job we could. Anyone who doubts me can talk to any of my former "A Team" staffers themselves.  People that I fired might have axes to grind.   

Van,
Yeah, all of that corporate greed had a lot to do with it. You are correct, the good 'veteran' editors and prob the same 'A Team guys' you are referring to did leave because of all the BS. I DO give credit to Brian Vance and Kiwi for holding down the fort....as long as they could. Pri-Media was a shite company to work for. Always late on my pay checks with tons of errors. Thats another story for another thread...
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2022, 04:40:14 PM »

Mucho fasto  !

Tony,
What was HIS name? lol
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2022, 04:47:02 PM »

Mucho fasto  !

Tony,
What was HIS name? lol

" Thats another story for another thread.."   over and over LMAO

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2022, 04:51:53 PM »

Mucho fasto  !

Tony,
What was HIS name? lol

" Thats another story for another thread.."   over and over LMAO

Tony is just like a Democrat: pointing fingers, making accusations to others what he is guilty of.
Btw, Tony you are avoiding my original question...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 05:03:44 PM by crossboss »
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2022, 05:16:08 PM »
Let's continue with this truly amazing topic:

2023 Corvette Z06 Review // The $100,000 Supercar

https://youtu.be/Dn6gmBQUTdg

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2022, 10:15:24 PM »
Kinda reminds me of whack a mole at the arcade minus the physical workout.