News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

New book on Shelby american--behind the scenes stories

Started by HistoryBuff, October 03, 2022, 11:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HistoryBuff

I just caught this on the radio, written by Preston Lerner,  a very thorough reporter. Don't know the title but this is probably a very new book. I hope he interviewed some of the behind the scenes guys like Charlie Agapiou

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

HistoryBuff

Read the book but didn't publish the review yet but here's a few questions not answered.

How did he small block Cobra get approved for homologation when only a handful ere built but the 427 was refused homologation when many more were built by the time the inspector arrived?

The military service of many of the men profiled, i would have liked it mentioned  Al Dowd was a coast guard veteran
and that Remington was in England during the war (Author says Pacific Theatre) and that Shelby was an aviator during WWII but spent the whole time Stateside as a flight instructor and airplane tester

When the 355 engine is mentioned for the Ford GT race car built after '66 LeMans win
are those engines upsized from what? And are they alloy block?

The pictures are light (not enough contrast) and printed on grainy paper, say about five times worse than the photo reproduction of the last Friedman Shelby books. Maybe on a reprint,  glossy paper can be used for photos.

Overall tho,  good grasp of why only Shelby could succeed at leading Ford to a victory at LeMans

FL SAAC

Great questions posed, unfortunately Most of the answers are being held by those on the other side. I read it also and just like when I watch the big screen, I receive and interpret it all as entertainment.

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Just finished reading it. Very interesting behind the scenes look. Until the move to LAX it seems that Shelby was barley hanging in there as a manufacturer. Makes you wonder if the Hertz order had not come through would they have made it. That 5 years from 62-67 must have been wild   
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎