News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

LA gets electric fire truck

Started by 98SVT - was 06GT, October 14, 2022, 04:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

It will run on electric for 2 hours and another 6 on its diesel engine. Fitting it's going to Hollyweird.

The first electric fire truck in the U.S. has arrived in Los Angeles.

The Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) took delivery of the truck, a Rosenbauer RTX, on May 14. It will be deployed to LAFD Station 82 in Hollywood, the department said in a press release.

The LAFD announced plans to buy an electric fire truck from Austrian firm Rosenbauer in 2020. The RTX is actually a range-extended electric vehicle, with a diesel engine acting as a generator to help charge the 132-kwh battery pack. The BMW-sourced 3.0-liter inline-6 kicks on when the charge drops to 20%, and can recharge the battery pack in about 45 minutes, according to Rosenbauer.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1135900_lafd-electric-fire-engine-delivered
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Don Johnston

What happens when diesel fuel is banned?  They might not be able to respond to a fire at city hall. 8)

Coralsnake

Can it put out the fire when its battery starts on fire?

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Don Johnston on October 14, 2022, 05:08:29 PMThey might not be able to respond to a fire at city hall. 8)

Probably not but they could roll city hall to the truck. When they did the restoration they put it on isolators. They are basically big ball bearings in a saucer. They are wrapped with rubber so they don't rust and they are stiff enough to keep it from swaying in the wind.
Them touting it was LAs tallest building for 30 years is a bogus claim. They had a rule no building in the core could be taller than City Hall. The building I worked in was slated to be 20 stories city hall is 32. When they started building it they realized since it was on Bunker Hill it would end up taller so they made them take 2 stories off.

https://www.aialosangeles.org/event/tour-under-city-hall/

FL SAAC

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on October 14, 2022, 05:59:14 PM
Quote from: Don Johnston on October 14, 2022, 05:08:29 PMThey might not be able to respond to a fire at city hall. 8)

Probably not but they could roll city hall to the truck. When they did the restoration they put it on isolators. They are basically big ball bearings in a saucer. They are wrapped with rubber so they don't rust and they are stiff enough to keep it from swaying in the wind.
Them touting it was LAs tallest building for 30 years is a bogus claim. They had a rule no building in the core could be taller than City Hall. The building I worked in was slated to be 20 stories city hall is 32. When they started building it they realized since it was on Bunker Hill it would end up taller so they made them take 2 stories off.

Now that's one good story.....

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on October 14, 2022, 06:12:07 PM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on October 14, 2022, 05:59:14 PM

Now that's one good story.....

The first "tall" building they permitted was originally called the Transamerica building it was also 32 stories but they made them build it 1.5 miles away from city hall. It was always the best place to go on the roof to take pictures of downtown.  http://wikimapia.org/10599526/South-Park-Center

deathsled

"What's that you say? Your fire truck is on the charger and it'll be about 45 minutes to get there and we should call the next station that has an ICE truck? Ok, gotcha."
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Does anyone know the cost of this over sized Austrian red toaster  ?

I have all UNGOLD cars

J_Speegle

Just as a side note. The media often/always  :o refers to just about any fire apparatus as a "truck" What is pictured is an "Engine" not a truck ::) Just a pet peeved one might say

Given the couple of pictures posted its my like a vehicle designed and used at airports in this country. Wonder if that it the plan for LAFD though the article does say Hollywood

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

68stangcjfb

That engine would probably last about 15 minutes in New York City before Something breaks on it. Looks way too fragile. Especially if it has an aluminum body. NYC specs Stainless steel. It can run 8 whole hours? A typical 4th or 5th alarm in NYC goes longer than that! Remember the 70s Mack pumper spares that literally ran for days pumping water at 9/11! All they did was keep adding fuel to them. Something that saves lives should be simple and reliable! Today's fire apparatus isn't simple with all the computers running the engine, pumps, ladders, towers and the emission controls that derate the engines after a set time period. But they hold up fairly well. Certain things just can't be electrified with today's technology! Sometime in the future? Maybe. The first time that engine breaks down during a fire and someone dies, the lawyers will have a field day! Especially in Hollywood. More than likely, that thing will never see a fire. just demonstrations for the dreamers and parades.   
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on October 15, 2022, 08:06:52 AM
Does anyone know the cost of this over sized Austrian red toaster  ?

With or without the bribes?

I worked for LA. One of the photographers at our departments husband was offered a position on the fire commission. He asked why he should make a $5,000 donation to the mayor just to get a free lunch every month. The guy that was pitching him said not to worry he'd get his money back from the next fire truck they bought.