News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Hurricane Ian got this 1968 Shelby

Started by Coralsnake, October 16, 2022, 10:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

If the salt water got to it, you are going to have salt in all the seams, inside the frame rails, rockers, seat pans, etc. Imagine the damage to things like the radio and wiring connectors. Not to mention the engine...

It really needs to go to bare steel and be neutralized as soon as possible.

There is a lot you can save, but its not going to be cheap.

FL SAAC

Easy peasy formula:

Salt water + metal (iron, stainless,  brass etc/all) = toast

Salt water intrusion is the worst enemy, no matter what any one does to attempt to negate,  you will be dealing with its corrosive results for the rest of your life.

As the Beatles would say:

"Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be .... Whisper words of wisdom, let it be"
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbymann1970

Sounds like then someone underinsured their car then. 80K in a hurricane zone? Not very smart... And ask Bill if you should just dry out the interior. There is more to cleaning up a flood damaged car than just drying it out especially with bacteria it has been subject to. Not only that was it salt water?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

Quote from: FL SAAC on October 17, 2022, 02:36:07 PM
Easy peasy formula:

Salt water + metal (iron, stainless,  brass etc/all) = toast

Salt water intrusion is the worst enemy, no matter what any one does to attempt to negate,  you will be dealing with its corrosive results for the rest of your life.

As the Beatles would say:

"Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be .... Whisper words of wisdom, let it be"
A chem strip will get rid of any salt problems but you know what that means... Then take all the other components...
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

tesgt350

If I figure it right on the site, that White piece of Tape on the Door with the Yellow Line indicates the Water Line.

CharlesTurner

Pictures aren't very good to determine how bad the flood damage was.  NJ car could have already had rust repair in the past.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

tesgt350

Here is a Hurricane thought to ponder........... You have 3 or 4 Vehicles but just 2 Drivers in the Family.......... Would you toss the keys to your other Vehicles to one or two of your Neighbors to drive them to safety or to where THEY were going, to get away from the Hurricane?  Seeing all these flooded Cars has me wondering why they just left them behind.

98SVT - was 06GT

Salt damage won't matter to the next owner. If he pays 85 it'll get a quick wash/wax new interior patched together engine/trans and be off to Barrett Jackson in a heartbeat. 2-3 owners down the line will be wondering why their car is disappearing before their eyes.
There is not enough room at 85 to spend another 60-70 to do it right.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350shelb

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on October 17, 2022, 04:00:32 PM
Salt damage won't matter to the next owner. If he pays 85 it'll get a quick wash/wax new interior patched together engine/trans and be off to Barrett Jackson in a heartbeat. 2-3 owners down the line will be wondering why their car is disappearing before their eyes.

yep it  will be hosed out and detailed and flipped
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Bill

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 17, 2022, 03:02:08 PM
And ask Bill if you should just dry out the interior. There is more to cleaning up a flood damaged car than just drying it out especially with bacteria it has been subject to. Not only that was it salt water?

I cannot stress that enough, the bacteria covering every surface, in every crack and crevice, deeply embedded into anything porous, can not only make you terribly sick when breathed in, but if you cut yourself on such a surface, and do not take care of it immediately, can be absorbed into your bloodstream, and kill you from the inside out.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

FL SAAC

Quote from: Bill on October 17, 2022, 09:59:15 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 17, 2022, 03:02:08 PM
And ask Bill if you should just dry out the interior. There is more to cleaning up a flood damaged car than just drying it out especially with bacteria it has been subject to. Not only that was it salt water?

I cannot stress that enough, the bacteria covering every surface, in every crack and crevice, deeply embedded into anything porous, can not only make you terribly sick when breathed in, but if you cut yourself on such a surface, and do not take care of it immediately, can be absorbed into your bloodstream, and kill you from the inside out.

Bill

Bacteremia or sepsis

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Quote from: tesgt350 on October 17, 2022, 03:38:35 PM
Here is a Hurricane thought to ponder........... You have 3 or 4 Vehicles but just 2 Drivers in the Family.......... Would you toss the keys to your other Vehicles to one or two of your Neighbors to drive them to safety or to where THEY were going, to get away from the Hurricane?  Seeing all these flooded Cars has me wondering why they just left them behind.

With out a doubt,  turn it into an event like the film Rat Race

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on October 17, 2022, 04:00:32 PM

By golly it's was just there a minute ago.....

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Bill on October 17, 2022, 09:59:15 PMI cannot stress that enough, the bacteria covering every surface, in every crack and crevice, deeply embedded into anything porous, can not only make you terribly sick when breathed in, but if you cut yourself on such a surface, and do not take care of it immediately, can be absorbed into your bloodstream, and kill you from the inside out.

Which is why I said NEW interior. It's cheaper than trying to clean and reuse the damaged stuff. I had a friend who used an ozone generator to clean out the smells in cars he flipped. He had a bad one and left it on all night it destroyed the stitching in the seats.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless