Author Topic: Are appraisals still a benefit of membership?  (Read 2599 times)

owenkelley

• View Profile
Are appraisals still a benefit of membership?
« on: August 02, 2023, 03:25:00 PM »
I remember years ago one of the perks of being a member was an appraisal for insurance purposes was offered. Is that still available?

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
Re: Are appraisals still a benefit of membership?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 07:29:56 PM »
I remember years ago one of the perks of being a member was an appraisal for insurance purposes was offered. Is that still available?

SAAC also said you were to receive 4 per year "Shelby American" magazines too....
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 10:00:34 PM »
I don't remember appraisals ever being a perk of membership. A "real" appraisal requires an in person inspection not someone saying they are worth X in Y condition. They would put you in touch with a local expert who could do it. Some didn't charge some did. The registrar will confirm if the Ford VIN and Shelby VIN you provide left SA together.
They still do 4 issues a year that you can view/download online and they send you a printed annual with all 4 issues yearly.
When it started in 1975 we got 6 issues per year. Still have Vol.1 No.1 through today along with most of the Snake Bite bulletins which was a monthly for sale sheet.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

owenkelley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 10:44:46 PM »
I don't remember appraisals ever being a perk of membership. A "real" appraisal requires an in person inspection not someone saying they are worth X in Y condition. They would put you in touch with a local expert who could do it. Some didn't charge some did. The registrar will confirm if the Ford VIN and Shelby VIN you provide left SA together.
They still do 4 issues a year that you can view/download online and they send you a printed annual with all 4 issues yearly.
When it started in 1975 we got 6 issues per year. Still have Vol.1 No.1 through today along with most of the Snake Bite bulletins which was a monthly for sale sheet.

I have an appraisal from SAAC for my '67 GT500 from probably 20-25 years go, so I know they used to provide them.

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 11:32:56 PM »
I have one from some 25 or 30 years ago and it was more of a stated value letter.  IIRC, send in a few photos per their spec, with what you think it's worth and if it seemed reasonable, you got a letter on SAAC stationary saying it was worth what you stated.  No one spent any time with the car. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 07:14:15 AM »
I still have my appraisals from 1990 from SAAC. So SAAC did do appraisals back then. Who needs them anyways unless you have some type of out of the ordinary vehicle like a resto mod. With stated value insurance an appraisal is a thing of the past. As a matter of fact in 2017 I went to increase my coverage with Hagerty because I thought I might be leaving my car at the Performance ford display on Woodward overnight and didn't know what to expect. Hagerty at first balked at what I wanted then when I showed past results from Bret's site of similar cars they upped my coverage. No appraisal needed as they had the pics they wanted. With the tools available and some research everyone can be an "expert" on what their car is worth. The only reason for an appraisal these days is if you cannot agree on your coverage with a classic car insurance and have to get one to "prove" your car is worth what you want it insured for.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 08:14:22 AM »
The word benefit implies some value. I agree appraisals have very little value.

owenkelley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2023, 03:45:37 PM »
They called them a Statement of Value at the time. Mine from 2008 is attached