Author Topic: car scam  (Read 1409 times)

car scam
« on: October 17, 2022, 08:32:33 AM »
Has anyone ever followed through in trying to get rid of scammers? I had someone approach me with a car that they thought that I would be interested in. A 1970 GT500, completely done, but they needed the money for medical reasons, an offered to sell it for $15,000. Obvious scam. So what law enforcement agency would handle this since I am in one state, and they are in another? FBI, my state's attorney general, or does anyone in law enforcement even care? I would really like to get these individuals off the streets and protect others from getting ripped off.

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: car scam
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 10:01:47 AM »
Has anyone ever followed through in trying to get rid of scammers? I had someone approach me with a car that they thought that I would be interested in. A 1970 GT500, completely done, but they needed the money for medical reasons, an offered to sell it for $15,000. Obvious scam. So what law enforcement agency would handle this since I am in one state, and they are in another? FBI, my state's attorney general, or does anyone in law enforcement even care? I would really like to get these individuals off the streets and protect others from getting ripped off.

More than likely, they are not located in the states.
Otherwise:
https://www.usa.gov/stop-scams-frauds

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 11:04:33 AM »
Even though they gave me a Wells Fargo routing number, I too figured that they are foreign scam artist.  I knew a guy that was taken by one of these low life's, and I would just like to do my part to help others by getting them off the streets.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 07:41:30 PM »
Offering you the car is not a crime. Once you have agreed to buy the car it's a contract if he doesn't give you the car it's criminal. But the cops aren't going to do anything until cash changes hands or papers have been signed. Then cops will maybe take a report and refer it to the District Attorney who will decide whether to prosecute or not. In most cases the cops will just kiss it off as a civil problem and tell you to sue the "seller"

Fraudulent misrepresentation is a civil tort arising out of contract law. It is a false statement of fact that causes or induces someone to enter into a contract.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 08:13:59 PM »
If he pisses you off enough chisel him down,way down ,on the price then leave him hanging ;)

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 11:48:48 AM »
.............. does anyone in law enforcement even care?

NO!   :o

And I understand the argument that there has been no law actually broken until after the scam takes place; of course there is the argument of intent, but it reality doesn't matter as the law enforcement agencies are not going to put any effort toward such anyway!   :(

Now, if you were to take it upon yourself to come to a solution in such matters, of those that have been assigned to the responsibility of these governmental agencies and sadly ignored, even if with positive results on your part, they would probably put more effort in chasing you and throwing you in jail, than they did or even ever intended of the bad-guys.   :o

So, how much more do you want to turn over to 'Uncle' to do for you!   ::)

Scott.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 12:03:31 PM »
In 1999 I had my 55 Thunderbird up for sale for 35,000. A person told me they wanted it. Told me he was out of the states....
Send me a wells fargo bank check. It was for more money. I contacted the person and asked him why, he said since the car was so nice and it was so cheap he wanted to give me a little extra. He did say, to have the car ready....bla bla bla.....I decided to go to the bank with he check, I had a great person that was willing to go the mile, He found that the check was real and from a real account....after talking about it, he said what the hell lets deposit it, but it will take up to 30 plus days to actually see if it is a real check. Meanwhile, I went home and got an email telling me they would be picking up the car in 2 days. That night, my guy called me and all he said was "It's not real" I said Thank you and hung up. the next day the emails kept coming, "I need your address, we have a guy in the area that can pick it up" I did not answer, and then he told me I have a binding contract and must have the car ready."
My response was, "Do you think I am stupid?"
NEVER heard back....LOL

Your right about the police, actually the FBI as the bank told me to call them, they do not give a rats azz...as we now know.
RARE  Signature Delete

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 07:00:37 AM »
Had a 65 Fastback in Florida ready to ship to the UK

Guy approached my US contact and wanted the car. Price was something like $32k

Guy put a 3k deposit in our bank and asked for some work to be done at additional cost. Took about a month. Deposit firmly in the account

A month goes by and the car is ready. Guy says would rather pay by certified check. Sent a certified check. Starts aggressively wanting to collect “driver in the area” “driver coming x day”. Etc

Bank calls our US contact and asks him to come in. Check was real but payee name was changed. Only way it was found out is the actual account owner the check was drawn on got a statement and called the bank to ask why funds were taken.

Cops were waiting for the haulier when he was told the car was ready. Carted him his mate and a truck and trailer off to the
Police station. $3k was legit. Rest was not. Seriously good scam. We were really only saved by a hurricane which delayed things and the orignal account holder calling the bank.

I called the bank later and asked what would have happened had we delivered the car and you later found the check fraudulent. They said we would have taken the money from your account.

I’ve since been instructed by a 36 year bank employee. Don’t EVER trust any sort of check. EVER

Amazingly. Simon L Lewis in Miami, our US contact, later stole three cars from me. I had invoices for the cars and about fifty emails about the deals. I hired a lawyer in Miami and Simon admitted he owing me the money and came up with a payment plan himself. He didn’t pay. Lawyer said for about another 20k she can get a judgement but in all honesty
He still won’t pay. I spoke with another lawyer. She said I am happy to take the case but you will never get your money. Then spoke with a debt collector. Wasn’t interested. Was $45k so not a few grand.

These POS are untouchable.

stangman39

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 01:27:53 PM »
These scammers are NOT untouchable.  You just need to find the right people to work with.
Obviously each case is different. 
About 8 years ago I was scammed for a deposit, I think $1000.  Found out others were also scammed and we combined forces.  PD in California found the guy and he went to jail.  I know CA has their issues bit I was extremely impressed with the detective who handled the case.

If you have been a victim of fraud send me a PM.  There are options and people with pull who do want to help take down the scammers.