Author Topic: Body & Paint advice from Experts?  (Read 1047 times)

jamilGT

• View Profile
Body & Paint advice from Experts?
« on: October 17, 2022, 11:33:34 AM »
Hello,

I could use some advice from the body and paint experts out there regarding touch-up paint for my 67 Nigh mist.

Thanks!

Survivor

• View Profile
Re: Body & Paint advice from Experts?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 11:43:22 AM »
And, while we're on the subject-when they re-painted my '69 in the early 80's (from Silver Jade to Red-why is a mystery), the gun must have had air in it b/c it left shiny dimples everywhere.  Any thoughts on how to pluck them off. 

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 12:31:32 AM »
I got my Nightmist  blue touch up kit from these guys ,they have it in paint pens ,bottles  & spray cans i got one of each just in case ,but used the bottle & brush for some small chips.
https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/order-form.cgi#
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 12:40:11 AM »
And, while we're on the subject-when they re-painted my '69 in the early 80's (from Silver Jade to Red-why is a mystery), the gun must have had air in it b/c it left shiny dimples everywhere.  Any thoughts on how to pluck them off.
It sounds like you are describing thinner pop. If so there is no getting them out.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 06:06:15 AM »

As Bob has stated, possible thinner "pop", or water contamination in the air lines. Only option is to strip and repaint at this point in time.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

6972boss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 11:56:23 AM »
If they are the size of pins holes that is thinner pop if it is larger, like a small crater the could also be contamination from oils on the surface prior to paint, poor prep. I have fixed those before. Very tedious!!

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 07:25:50 PM »
I almost botched a paint job recently due to solvent pop.  Laid down 3 clear coats exactly within window of doing base coat.  Bubbles soon appeared, collapsing into tiny craters. Learned it's not an exact science regarding time intervals.  Blocked the clear with 600 grit to both remove craters and orange peal in clear.  Laid down 4 more coats of clear without issue.   The depth, and gloss were spectacular.  Later learned that's what custom painters call, flow coating.  Used an orbital palm sander to 8000 grit Trizac, followed by a Flex buffer with Sonax polish.  Net result is show stopping.