News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

How to build a better Boss 302?

Started by deathsled, October 17, 2022, 04:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Cobrask8

I know of two "BOSS 347" motors, which use a Stroker kit from SCAT, a 302 Boss or aftermarket block, and either BOSS 351 or aftermarket Cleveland/Boss heads. The big stroke really makes things happen, the power is BIG, much farther across the power band, and still pull hard up to a 7K limited redline.

Not a stocker, so no flaming, but probably the ultimate BOSS-style build using a Windsor-style block.

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

pbf777

From the article: "The 1982-up style one-piece rear main seal will work on a BOSS crank. Although engine builders tend to lube the seal lip, never lube the seal lip. It goes on dry. (Image/Jim Smart)"  :o

Although I realize that this is not truly an in-depth comprehensive article with step-by-step instruction for either the required machine work or the proper assembly of, but I just wanted to dispute this statement so as others would not follow this recommendation.   

Take my word for it, the seal is not intended to be installed or run dry!  As one of the respondents said: "Good luck with that"  ;)

And yes, I tried it..........once.........(after all, it's said one should try anything/everything at least once, right?  ???) and experienced exactly what one would expect with rubbing going on and a lack of lubrication, functional failure; and the discomfort of having to replace the seal shorty (very shorty) after the start-up event!  :(  I went ahead and completed the first break-in running, just placed a drip pan under the engine as it was pouring pretty good.   ::)

Scott.

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

TA Coupe

There are a lot of 331, 347 and even 362 in boss 302 stroker motors around.. Just go to the boss 302 website and you'll read about some if you do a search.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

Quote from: TA Coupe on October 17, 2022, 07:47:50 PM
There are a lot of 331, 347 and even 362 in boss 302 stroker motors around.. Just go to the boss 302 website and you'll read about some if you do a search.

Roy

They are really outstanding combinations especially considering that externally they look original/stock.

Track guys seem to prefer the 331's over the 347's Go figure?

There are lots of combinations available.

I personally went with a 347 with AFR heads. I didn't have the heart to paint the heads but since there is a 2x4 T/A intake on it to begin with, people would be a bit suspicious initially anyway.

The thing rev's and pulls hard AND you can get at the spark plugs! Absolutely marvelous darling...marvelous!

The a/c blows nice and cold as well. ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JohnSlack

Quote from: shelbydoug on October 18, 2022, 08:13:04 AM

Roy

They are really outstanding combinations especially considering that externally they look original/stock.

I personally went with a 347 with AFR heads. I didn't have the heart to paint the heads but since there is a 2x4 T/A intake on it to begin with, people would be a bit suspicious initially anyway.

The thing rev's and pulls hard AND you can get at the spark plugs! Absolutely marvelous darling...marvelous!

Doug,
Now I will ask you what you once asked me "Do you have a Factory BOSS 302 2x4 T/A intake manifold? I've been compiling a registry of who owns those intakes and your name is not on it. If you have one and have had it for more than 3 years then that moves the number of known intake manifolds from 10 to 11.

shelbydoug

Quote from: JohnSlack on October 21, 2022, 01:45:22 AM

Roy

Doug,
Now I will ask you what you once asked me "Do you have a Factory BOSS 302 2x4 T/A intake manifold? I've been compiling a registry of who owns those intakes and your name is not on it. If you have one and have had it for more than 3 years then that moves the number of known intake manifolds from 10 to 11.

No, not a Boss 302, a C60A 289 intake. First I've heard of a registry for them.

It came from a "friend of Randy". NOS old stock. Not a numbered version off of an SA car.

Sorry...I can't get the picture to load right.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JohnSlack

Quote from: shelbydoug on October 21, 2022, 08:22:47 AM

Roy

Doug,

It came from a "friend of Randy". NOS old stock. Not a numbered version off of an SA car.

Doug,

Wow, nice intake to have... It's not hard to believe that you never heard of the 2x4 BOSS std. Flange Holley T/A intake manifold registry, we can only locate 10 of them.

John

TA Coupe

Hey John, the C60A is what I have on my Mustang and I have another one out in the Mancave. Upper left the last picture.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

Quote from: JohnSlack on October 21, 2022, 01:24:21 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on October 21, 2022, 08:22:47 AM

Roy

Doug,

Doug,

Wow, nice intake to have... It's not hard to believe that you never heard of the 2x4 BOSS std. Flange Holley T/A intake manifold registry, we can only locate 10 of them.

John

I remember discussing this subject with Randy.  We were talking about the Dominator version, not the 2x4 std Holley version.

I was toying with the idea of seeking out the SHELBY script B2 version before I decided on heads. He didn't like it. Said it had a problem with the rear carb location. No further explanation from him.

He was remarking about his attempts to eliminate the fuel reversion on the IR manifold with the Dominators and just being satisfied to get the fuel to accumulate in a spot where it wasn't a fire hazard.

Both of the B2 versions have got to be the end of the line as far as trick Ford induction. They just didn't cross over into the Clevelands.

I can see lots of efforts invested in them. I suppose it is safe to say that the "program just ended with them"?

The Webers do the same thing as far as fuel reversion due to the cam timing pulsing and presurizing the intake manifold. That pulse is intended for a common plenum where it is preloading the next intake to open.

No where to go on IR manifolds except up and out.

I actually accidentally discovered that if you use a 5" tall stack the plume will stay in the stack. No where to put that on the B2 T/A cars.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

Quote from: shelbydoug on October 21, 2022, 03:45:29 PM
I actually accidentally discovered that if you use a 5" tall stack the plume will stay in the stack. No where to put that on the B2 T/A cars.

The use of a pair of tin-snips would solve the hood closure problem!   ::)

Scott.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbydoug on October 21, 2022, 08:22:47 AMIt came from a "friend of Randy".

Ray? He bought a semi truck full of pieces at the Holman & Moody parts sale. I remember drooling over his hoard and cars.

I got my 70 Boss 302 from him.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on October 21, 2022, 09:00:01 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on October 21, 2022, 08:22:47 AMIt came from a "friend of Randy".

Ray? He bought a semi truck full of pieces at the Holman & Moody parts sale. I remember drooling over his hoard and cars.

I got my 70 Boss 302 from him.

I think so, yes.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!