Author Topic: 1967 GT500 which engine would you put in and why?  (Read 6078 times)

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 GT500 which engine would you put in and why?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2022, 10:34:18 PM »
At the far end if he wants to carve up some twisty roads and play at track day then an all aluminum FE with 500+ hp is the way to go. Since it lacks the original engine already a Shelby FE dressed as a 67 may be acceptable and add some value at sale time. https://www.shelbyengines.com/collections/shelby-fe-engines

That's what I thought build a shelby fe but with original intake, carbs, ignition etc. should really look awesome and it should make a lot of fun. But then I don't know if the 9" with just 31 spline will survive this. Its really a tough decision to make.

The 9" will be fine you can't get enough tire in the stock wheel well to get enough traction to break it.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2022, 10:53:34 PM »
Kent-   It really is not that difficult of a question to ask yourself. Most SHELBYS dont have their born with engines so would you like to drive something that sounds like your vacuum cleaner when driving it or would you prefer the wail of a highly tuned Big Block echoing off the buildings or canyon walls, I compare it to wanting a Cobra..... A small block 289 is fun- But a 427 SC is breathtaking, I would choose the latter. Here is a picture of mine with a 427 medium riser, 99 percent of people dont know the difference or really care, but what they do like, is going for a ride and screaming like a girl SLOW DOWN/SLOW DOWN!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2022, 09:27:54 AM »
Considering the fact that there is a limit to how much power you can actually put on the ground in a "Mustang chassis", astronomical numbers seem to be somewhat of a lip service to me?

IF we are talking around stock CI displacements, then a reworked 428 PI is not so much out of the question.

Essentially the basis for a 427 top end is already there. Certainly there is virtually no difference in torque output.

The criticism of the PI is in the under camming of it and the inherent weakness of the stock connecting rods.

I'm getting 500hp out of my 347. If you can't get that out of a 428 then you must be hanging out with the daily riders of the short bus?

Put some good valves, springs and cam in the top end. Put a set of Hooker headers in it and leave it dressed as a '67 GT500 should be.

It is quite a handful to deal with at that.

If you want to play virtual HP games and why would you? You can play that with Fantasy Football amongst other things.

Put the money into the internal performance parts that you don't see. The thing is plenty fast and lethal that way. Let the guys with the aluminum everything and the titanium gonads show their cars at the local shows and impress the crap out of the kiddies while you drive your 500.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 09:52:42 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2022, 10:11:51 AM »
Considering the fact that there is a limit to how much power you can actually put on the ground in a "Mustang chassis", astronomical numbers seem to be somewhat of a lip service to me?

IF we are talking around stock CI displacements, then a reworked 428 PI is not so much out of the question.

Essentially the basis for a 427 top end is already there. Certainly there is virtually no difference in torque output.

The criticism of the PI is in the under camming of it and the inherent weakness of the stock connecting rods.

I'm getting 500hp out of my 347. If you can't get that out of a 428 then you must be hanging out with the daily riders of the short bus?

Put some good valves, springs and cam in the top end. Put a set of Hooker headers in it and leave it dressed as a '67 GT500 should be.

If you want to play virtual HP games and why would you? You can play that with Fantasy Football amongst other things.

Put the money into the internal performance parts that you don't see. The thing is plenty fast and lethal that way. Let the guys with the aluminum everything and the titanium gonads show their cars at the local shows and impress the crap out of the kiddies while you drive your 500.

+ 1 all that power being transferred through the  antique drive train and chassis creates havoc on all parts.

Broke a brand new motor mount, that triggered a broken fan shroud, that bent a fan and warped the fan clutch. Out back made one tire lumpy and the other shredded into pieces.  About $2K in parts and repairs, just is not worth it.

Start it, let it kackle and go for a nice cruise, enjoy your day
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2022, 10:27:09 AM »

500 horse out of a 347 - what heads, cam, compression, intake and exhaust are you running?
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2022, 11:00:55 AM »
IF it was mine, I would keep it an FE of course. So, in would go a nice stroker 428. Alum heads, CJ exhausts, Tunnel Wedge intake , hyd roller cam, etc.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2022, 11:31:17 AM »

500 horse out of a 347 - what heads, cam, compression, intake and exhaust are you running?

Ah! How much you wanna' pay?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2022, 11:51:49 AM »

Ah! How much you wanna' pay?

You still haven't answered the question.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2022, 01:35:53 PM »
Big HP in todays engines is almost too easy. https://www.shelbyengines.com/collections/shelby-289-engines/products/aluminum-289-364ci-stage-i-500hp
Paint it blue and no one will know.

My 310" Cleveland cranks out 650 @ 7,800 it was built in 85 with all the best parts and is alive and well today..
Carrillo rods
SVO A3 aluminum heads
Roller rockers – Crower stainless
Moroso Stud Girdle
Steel billet crank
Olson dry sump pan
Titanium valve keepers
Pistons – Venolia
Motorsport 351 pillow NASCAR block
Steel billet crank

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2022, 01:49:21 PM »
Big HP in todays engines is almost too easy. https://www.shelbyengines.com/collections/shelby-289-engines/products/aluminum-289-364ci-stage-i-500hp

My 310" Cleveland cranks out 650 @ 7,800 it was built in 85 with all the best parts and is alive and well today..
Carrillo rods
SVO A3 aluminum heads
Moroso Stud Girdle
Steel billet crank
Olson dry sump pan
Titanium valve keepers
Pistons – Venolia
Steel billet crank

Bench racing lives on  ;D - Everyone is cruising around at 7,800 rpm in their 1000 hp mustang - on radial tires and doing 10 second passes...

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2022, 02:01:19 PM »

Carrillo rods
SVO A3 aluminum heads
Moroso Stud Girdle
Steel billet crank
Olson dry sump pan
Titanium valve keepers
Pistons – Venolia
Steel billet crank

Bench racing lives on  ;D - Everyone is cruising around at 7,800 rpm in their 1000 hp mustang - on radial tires and doing 10 second passes...

Love it !

Both our 69s are solid high 13 second to 14 second travesties......lmao

Now the late models are another story
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 02:04:12 PM by FL SAAC »

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2022, 02:01:56 PM »
Oh go with what you have use the 427

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2022, 03:28:58 PM »

Sorry should have included a picture

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2022, 03:44:37 PM »

I believe that 427hunter was referring to the claim that a 347 made 500 HP...not a 'race car'.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2022, 03:50:58 PM »

I believe that 427hunter was referring to the claim that a 347 made 500 HP...not a 'race car'.

Scott, why do I feel like we went back in time and are standing in the Super Shops parking lot.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown