News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT500 which engine would you put in and why?

Started by Kent, October 17, 2022, 04:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

Ok lets go from there

1967 GT500 with a freezed engine in 1968 that became a 427 Sideoiler in 70/71 but all parts around the engine were saved now thinking about to do something new. What would you do and why.

Options are

-427 Shelby All Aluminum FE Sideoiler Engine with Shelby Heads etc. but original 427 $ Crankshaft to have the correct stroke and use of the original intake, carbs, distributor, covers, and so on etc.
-428 PI original like in 67
-427 sidoiler iron block like its now in it with the original GT5oo components around

What will be more worth at the end with the history of the freezed engine in 68 and change to a 427 in 70/71

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Wedgeman

Locate the correct PI A scratch block.... GT heads.... GT exhaust manifolds....428 crank.... rods....pistons...etc.
when you have all the correct parts. and are ready to put it back to stock original....then you can sell the 427 side oiler...
use the money to machine  & assemble ...that is where it will be worth the most money....plus. you can enjoy driving the car around till you are ready... 8)  that is..if the car is currently running with the 427...

Cobrask8

Or...

Yes, build that correct motor, and once complete, seal it in a bag, and store it.

Then...

Build a nice stroker FE with good aluminum heads, low RPM torque cam, make it look original, and drive it.

FL SAAC

Wow great question

We considered this option once upon a time, what killed the thought?

To much money, antiquated suspension and brakes ( more money burned )
At the end of the day some late model cars will still skunk you

-427 Shelby All Aluminum FE Sideoiler Engine with Shelby Heads etc. but original 427 $ Crankshaft to have the correct stroke and use of the original intake, carbs, distributor, covers, and so on etc.

What we actually did, rebuilt the original 428, ported the heads and intake. Used a larger Holley and a roller cam.

-428 PI original like in 67

Work with what you have, if we would have had this we would hace used this with  some tweaks mentioned above. Let the next owner worry about originality

-427 sidoiler iron block like its now in it with the original GT5oo components around
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bigfoot

I've been waiting all these years to see somebody cut into the inner fenders and install a SOHC.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bigfoot on October 17, 2022, 07:00:05 PM

I've been waiting all these years to see somebody cut into the inner fenders and install a SOHC.
A few years ago a friend had a car in his shop that had the shock towers cut out from a previous SOHC installation . So it has been done more then once no doubt. The owner wanted it back stock . It was quite a job besides the already bumper to bumper concours restoration.The car ended up getting a gold in MCA trailered class.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

If it were mine I would build as close to an original engine as possible. Lots of fun to drive and worth the most at your estate sale.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Kent

ok the answers are more exiting than I thought they would be. A big + for the 427 is that its really a good reving engine that the PI never will be when its close to stock. I really like the 427´s and also the shelby aluminum ones. Yes a PI would be correct that is true. But with the known history of the car that the block was gone in 68 and a 427 was installed I´m not sure what to do. As the 427 was sitting in the car since 70/71.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Kent on October 18, 2022, 03:38:53 AM
ok the answers are more exiting than I thought they would be. A big + for the 427 is that its really a good reving engine that the PI never will be when its close to stock. I really like the 427´s and also the shelby aluminum ones. Yes a PI would be correct that is true. But with the known history of the car that the block was gone in 68 and a 427 was installed I´m not sure what to do. As the 427 was sitting in the car since 70/71.
It sounds like you want to justify the 427 . ;)  Now days the highest value is typically in stock form.  It really doesn't matter technically if the replacement engine was installed in 1970 ,1980,1990 etc. because it is still a replacement engine . A good engine but replacement all the same . At least in the context of which you asked which is the highest resale value.Best of luck with a hard decision.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

Don't kniw about being stock brings the most money.  I see the mustang rest mods pull in buckets if cash

The issue is that no Shelby owner (I think) will pull the trigger and rest mod one. Imagine a Shelby completely restomodded, a mustang with a Shelby pedigree,  maybe big dollars

I would not do it
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Kent

Yes Bob your are right, to justify the 427 aluminum would be nice. But as I really like original as you do I´m really in a back and forth situation. 427´s are great engines but the 428 PI in all original with perfect measurements etc and some work done to it are also very strong, nice sounding and reliable engines.

And I have to spent less money on a 428 PI compared to the 427 aluminum engine. But to save a lot of weight with all aluminum is also something that got me for driving it. I know that from my drag fastback which has an all aluminum engine and its such a difference in a mustang.

Really difficult its like sandwich or steak I like both and if I have to choose what I eat for the rest of my life I wouldn't know.

SFM5S159

Why not build a correct looking, proper 428 with some modest modifications?
This is what I did:  Correct block and heads, ported the heads, mild mechanical camshaft(gives good vacuum), CJ manifolds.
Engine made 420 HP and 460 TQ.  It looks and sounds like a stock 428.  Runs as good as I need for a restored '67 GT500. 

Mike C
'65 GT350, '67 GT500, '65 289 Cobra

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on October 18, 2022, 12:00:16 PM
Don't kniw about being stock brings the most money.  I see the mustang rest mods pull in buckets if cash

The issue is that no Shelby owner (I think) will pull the trigger and rest mod one. Imagine a Shelby completely restomodded, a mustang with a Shelby pedigree,  maybe big dollars

Resto mods pull the money because of the labor put into them and the fact that most people prefer to drive a car with the ease of EFI and AC. There are already Restomod "Shelbys" they're called Eleanor.

The first thing the owner needs to decide is how he will use his car. Putting around town and the occasional show - go stock with the right date castings etc. That will payoff when it's finally sold.

At the far end if he wants to carve up some twisty roads and play at track day then an all aluminum FE with 500+ hp is the way to go. Since it lacks the original engine already a Shelby FE dressed as a 67 may be acceptable and add some value at sale time. https://www.shelbyengines.com/collections/shelby-fe-engines
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Kent

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on October 19, 2022, 01:16:08 PM
At the far end if he wants to carve up some twisty roads and play at track day then an all aluminum FE with 500+ hp is the way to go. Since it lacks the original engine already a Shelby FE dressed as a 67 may be acceptable and add some value at sale time. https://www.shelbyengines.com/collections/shelby-fe-engines

That's what I thought build a shelby fe but with original intake, carbs, ignition etc. should really look awesome and it should make a lot of fun. But then I don't know if the 9" with just 31 spline will survive this. Its really a tough decision to make.

mikeh

Quote from: Cobrask8 on October 17, 2022, 05:22:39 PM
Or...

Yes, build that correct motor, and once complete, seal it in a bag, and store it.

Then...

Build a nice stroker FE with good aluminum heads, low RPM torque cam, make it look original, and drive it.

I pick this option. 9" with 31 spline axles will be fine with street tires, slicks could be a problem!