News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1966 Trans Am Mustang feature article

Started by deathsled, October 19, 2022, 01:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-first-trans-am-champion-1966-shelby-mustang-that-ken-miles-never-drove-is-for-sale-201382.html

Very difficult to look away.  Such a thing of beauty (which is a joy forever for the poets out there.)

Here is a Youtube link that explains the car.  I have to go do an oil change now so haven't had a chance to watch to the end therefore Caveat Emptor.
https://youtu.be/p5deyeQOiOE
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

silverton_ford

FL SAAC

Bid up to $690K, that's some serious coin
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

McCombs 67 is the only 67 TA car built by Shelby left. It's owned by Gary Underwood. Titus drove it in Washington after destroying his team car.

Shelby had sold all the 66 A Sedan (TA) cars. Ford called him and said we need to win the championship. CS bought a Coupe off the lot at a dealer and built the car in time for the final race at Riverside. Titus won it after some heroic driving - coming from the back of the field twice. Winning Ford the championship in 66 and 67 earned him the nickname Mr Transam. SCCA didn't have a drivers championship for TA only a manufacturers championship. They did not want to dilute the championship advertising value for the factories who were spending the big bucks.

I call BS on this statement: Carroll Shelby had this to say about the 1966 piece of magnificence: "1966 was the last year I was really interested in racing. (...) After '66, we were concentrating on volume.
He was very interested in racing. The 67 TransAm and LeMans kept his plate a lot fuller than some guys in the other hanger cranking out cookie cutter Mustangs. Ford engineers and designers had been sent to SA in 66 to design the 67s and later the Shelby Automotive cars. Also in mid 67 he knew he was now only a race contractor for Ford which is why Shelby Racing Inc was born.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless