News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Toronto first impressions after three year travel moratorium

Started by deathsled, October 21, 2022, 11:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

My son and I drove into Toronto last night to show him the sites. The city I once knew has become very car unfriendly. Four lane roads that I drove on in the past have been narrowed to two lanes on main thoroughfares like Danforth road including Yonge street and St. George that cuts through my old University of Toronto.
Narrowed. Bike paths installed everywhere.  One of the roads that leads to my college within the University has been completely closed and turned into a pedestrian path.  All this while increasing the population of people and cars.  With all the restriction of arteries Toronto deserves a myocardial infarction. No vaccine or Covid testing requirements anymore at the border at least.  Plus side is that I did see a Plum Crazy Hellcat Challenger downtown trying to make a narrow turn from a narrow two lane road onto Spadina which itself has been separated by a long and massive concrete island to percent any left turns onto side streets going or coming.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

They are getting ready for the future when fossil fuel consumption will be down and driving a huge gas guzzling dinosaur will be a thing of the past . Welcome to today's China or the future wherever you are if we continue on this path
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

67 GT350

RARE  Signature Delete

FL SAAC

Quote from: 67 GT350 on October 21, 2022, 12:00:16 PM
Liberism is a mental disorder

I agree with you

Some confuse freedom if expression with liberalism,  I see them both  at the opposite ends of the spectrum

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

A future without fossil fueled transportation

Just imagine Buzz Lightyear explaining to Woody:

Bicycles,  millions of bicycles,  just peddling to and from, bicycle here bicycles there, bycicle highways everywhere ....

I have all UNGOLD cars

KR500

My wife and I were in Austin,TX last week to visit our oldest daughter. She lives in a residential neighbor hood on the south side of town. The one main road right off of the street she lives on is  4 lanes, 2 for autos and 2 for bicycles, one lane each direction. We were there a week. Did not see a single bicycle on that street. A lot of tax dollars were spent to block off half of the road, lanes painted, flexible pylon barriers and signage for very little use. Block off half the road for auto travel in a city that is one of the fastest growing in the US? Not every street in Austin is that way but I am sure there will be more to come.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

TOBKOB

QuoteThey are getting ready for the future when fossil fuel consumption will be down and driving a huge gas guzzling dinosaur will be a thing of the past . Welcome to today's China or the future wherever you are if we continue on this path

That's gonna make it hard for us old folks to visit Key West.. >:(  :'(

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

TOBKOB

QuoteMy wife and I were in Austin,TX last week to visit our oldest daughter. She lives in a residential neighbor hood on the south side of town. The one main road right off of the street she lives on is  4 lanes, 2 for autos and 2 for bicycles, one lane each direction. We were there a week. Did not see a single bicycle on that street. A lot of tax dollars were spent to block off half of the road, lanes painted, flexible pylon barriers and signage for very little use. Block off half the road for auto travel in a city that is one of the fastest growing in the US? Not every street in Austin is that way but I am sure there will be more to come.
Rodney

Only as long as people keep voting the way they have in the past...

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Rickmustang

I live 25 miles west of Austin. Liberal city council has damaged the city. Homeless, to bicycles to taxes. I try very hard not to go there.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

98SVT - was 06GT

Hey I'm the one working my butt of pedaling this bike - how about you take the shortest route and not get artsy.

China is junking bicycles at a record rate. They were the preferred transportation of the ChiComs but now fueled with western dollars a middle class is emerging and buying cars - ICE cars.

Seems China has figured out EVs don't work.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Talked to a few old friends here and word is that EMS and firefighters are furious because of the inability to get to emergency situations like never before.

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on October 22, 2022, 05:24:52 PM
Talked to a few old friends here and word is that EMS and firefighters are furious because of the inability to get to emergency situations like never before.

They have to go with the flow and use bicycles .....

I have all UNGOLD cars

deathsled

Don Johnston

So how many Floridians packed up and went north on bicycles during hurricane Ian and how far did they get? 8)

FL SAAC

Quote from: Don Johnston on October 24, 2022, 11:26:46 PM
So how many Floridians packed up and went north on bicycles during hurricane Ian and how far did they get? 8)

By the looks of ALL those cars washed up, I'd say 2.5 gazillion  peddled on bikes north

I have all UNGOLD cars