News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Clutch bushings. How to stretch that spring above the left foot??

Started by 67 GT350, October 23, 2022, 07:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

What is the best and easiest way to "deal" with the clutch spring under the dash? How do you actually unhook it and re-hook it? I have heard remove the whole assembly? I have heard somehow shoving coin in-between the spring thus enlarging it so you can take it out and put it back in?? Pair of pliers and using all you might to stretch it and remove it??? OR?
RARE  Signature Delete

CSX4781

Disconnect the rod from the pedal, then put the pedal on the floor (the spring will hold it there). Then, unbolt and remove the clutch pedal stop that the pedal is up against at the top of its travel. After remove it, CAREFULLY pull the pedal up off the floor (I'd do it with my foot on the pedal). Once the pedal comes up past where that stop is, the spring relaxes and it can be removed. Reverse procedure to reinstall.

Dave

tgilliam

A question I have is "why" do you want to do anything to that spring under the dash? What ever problem you are trying to address - there is a 90% chance that the spring IS NOT the problem. From past experience I would suggest doing some really good investigation before attacking the spring.
Most of the possible problems will require dealing with the spring but the spring is probably not the problem.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com

67 GT350

I need to rebuild the bushings, all pedals are wobbly. Clutch and Brake pedal.
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on October 24, 2022, 11:00:59 AM
I need to rebuild the bushings, all pedals are wobbly. Clutch and Brake pedal.
There is major work to be done if the pedal bushings have failed. Most of the time it is just the bushing. Other times the bushing is destroyed and the arm wears into the adjoining metal of the bracket. Not to say you couldn't finagle something with it still in the car but if is easier in the long run for the work to be done with entire bracket removed from the car. Rebuild kits are available or a replacement bracket with intact bushing is available (with slight modification ) from 100's of thousands of donor cars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

If the shaft needs replace and not worried about original there is a roller bearing replacement shaft kit that is very nice/smooth.  Removing the assembly is required.

Also, if rebuilding original, order all the pieces-parts, you may not know what is or isn't missing, it all works better with them.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

gt350bp

The roller bushings are the way to go if you intend to drive the car. This will be some of the best money spent, as it takes any wobble out of the pedals and allows smooth operation.

Don
gt350bp

67 GT350

RARE  Signature Delete

T-Bone68

To the original question, I found this video very helpful when I removed and rebuilt my pedal assembly.  He removes an automatic pedal set to install a manual set, but key pieces of this video that helped me:
-Definitely go ahead and remove the fresh air vent and drop the parking brake handle like he does.  Also removing the instrument cluster helped.
-I removed mine the same way he shows putting his in at about 8min 30sec.
-Putting the pedal assembly in the vice like he does to assemble the spring was very helpful.  It significantly reduces the flex working against you.  I bought a pair of rubber coated soft jaws for my vice to not mark up my pedal set lip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8b37fLoIN8

Removing the spring:  I was able to get to the 3 screws holding the bracket on.  I removed 2 screws and loosened the 3rd so the bracket could swivel and let go the tension.  Wear safety glasses just in case, but mine let go without issue.  There are a number of posts on Mustang forums saying after you remove the retaining pin you can push the clutch pedal to the floor and then slide it out sideways enough to pass the pedal stop.  I don't know how they did it.  Couldn't get mine to budge that way.