News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Speed limiters on trucks

Started by deathsled, October 24, 2022, 11:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Ford has had it for quite awhile. Our 2005 F150 had the speed limited at about 95. They set it so you can't overdrive the tire rating - response to the old Firestone lawsuit?

Typical .gov - we'll pass it then decide how slow you'll have to drive.

Earlier this year, the FMCSA issued Notice of Intent document announcing plans to propose that any commercial vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of 26,001 pounds or more be equipped with an electronic engine control unit (ECU) that will be capable of governing speed to a limit that will be determined during the rulemaking process.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

I can see this morphing into speed limiters for everything.  Combined with the vehicle's GPS, you'd have a location-controlled governor to limit speed to the posted speed limit plus 10 mph (for emergency maneuvers.)

So, let's say the speed limit on a highway is 55 mph.  Your vehicle will be governored to a brief (15 second?) max of 65.

As soon as you go from that 55 mph road onto a 65 mph road, your max (brief) speed allowed increases to 75. The vehicle adjusts its limiter as you drive.   

Of course, the same device works in slowing cars, too.  No more burnouts, or perfecting your Rockford J-Turns, in a vacant parking lot. 

And, what additional fun awaits us with OBD III.  Huge losses of freedom, privacy and liberty from the onset. And what will OBD IV or V, or beyond bring?

Owellian thought: Will future car seats have fart-o-meters to detect one's contribution to the deadly methane layer, and automatically fine you for any overages?  If so, who determines what is an acceptable amount of emissions? Will it be based on a person's size?  Age?  Will you need a special card to purchase any product with legumes, grease or lactose?  (Bye bye, burritos.)   

Important issues, indeed.  Looks like it's time to create another gov't Blue Ribbon Task Force and spend several hundred million $$ to put it into place.   
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

As stated above, speed governors aren't anything new, particularly on tractor-trailers.  Years ago they were mechanical.  Since at least the mid-90s they've been electronic.  I believe most vehicles currently have the ability to be "governed", though they might not actually be equipped with the necessary software calibrations.  I think the difference with the proposed FMCSA rule is that now it would be mandated that commercial vehicles must be equipped with them.