News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Shelby+CJ Instruments 8000 rpm questions and Gauge Pod 67 Shelby

Started by Kent, October 28, 2022, 06:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

I just looked at my instruments I have from several years collecting. I knew the most or all 67 Shelby´s had the redline 8000 rpm and I wonder about the part number if this was different to the not redline 8000 rpm in 67 as I also have one 8000 rpm with C7 part number.

The 68´s CJ and S Code Mustangs were always without redline from what I know and I have seen on mine.
68 Shelby I have usually seen with redline also, so was this a shelby thing or did normal Mustangs also received 8000 rpm with redline?

When you look at the one picture with the 2 redline 8000 rpm there is a difference in the warning light below 1 has the two small boxes and the other one has a small thin band I will make a better picture of it, this means its the brake light warning from a cougar so is this a refaced to 8000 rpm speedo?

So all 67 Shelby´s had the 2 check light boxes for oil and alt and a 8000 rpm redline and I guess 68 Shelby the same yes. but 428 CJ and S Code Mustang just had 8000 rpm with no redline, correct?

And another thing the gauge pod on the picture how can you tell exactly if repro or original? I would say repro or repainted. But I´m not sure as I can't find the thread about these.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Kent

more pictures. I hope I didn't forgot something as I said I have 3 different versions of 8000 rpm with C7 part number, to read complete I have to take them out.

C7 8000 rpm redline with 2 small check light boxes
C7 8000 rpm redline with band check light boxes
C7 8000 rpm no redline with 2 small check light boxes

the other instruments in the first picture are CJ 68 I guess as I had a lot of these.

if someone is interested in some of the instruments just let me know, I would sell everything that is not 67 Shelby. I also have 6000 rpm tachs and so on.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

JD

Not sure if this helps you...and also the '67's the high-beam light indicator is a round light hole and the '68's is the running horse.

Also, see this link to a thread on '67 instrument panels just below, and on page 2 of that thread look at reply #18, hope this helps...

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=5741.msg50446#msg50446
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Kent

thanks for some answers yes the 67 and 68 camera bezels are easy to see, edges are rounder on 68 also and different wiper, turn signal, high beam indicator etc.

But as I said I´m not sure if there are original factory delivered 67 (68) Shelbys´s with 8000 rpm an NO redline as I always see them with redline.

But on the other hand I have seen all CJ Mustangs 4 speed´s from 68 (automatic were without speedometer) with no redline.

I know the instrument is maybe one of the parts that became restored on these cars first. So there can be things that never were factory etc.

JD

Note text at bottom of first image in the reply above...it's maybe a bit hard to read - here it is below.

"...Tachometer
Some cars had a Redline on the tachometer from 6,000 to 8,000 RPM, some did not.  This seems to have occurred randomly through-out the model year. Some redlines look more Orange but this is probably due to fading...."
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Kent

And I have read in several forums like vmf and seen only redline on Shelby´s that's why I ask. And I never have seen a redline on Mustangs. And I think the part number is also different. That makes me think it was a special part just for Shelby´s. Any help is appreciated. As I said there are so many restored and changed instruments out there in so many mustangs/ shelby´s but on the old pics and survivor cars I have owned and seen usually it was like that.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Kent on October 28, 2022, 01:08:23 PM
And I have read in several forums like vmf and seen only redline on Shelby´s that's why I ask. And I never have seen a redline on Mustangs. And I think the part number is also different. That makes me think it was a special part just for Shelby´s. Any help is appreciated. As I said there are so many restored and changed instruments out there in so many mustangs/ shelby´s but on the old pics and survivor cars I have owned and seen usually it was like that.

If your comparing 67 Mustang and Shelby tachs then another difference and reason for the different design is that they are not the same tach - 6K verses 8K. Not allot of Mustangs were ordered with tachs that year

So we have at least three versions 6K with no redline (Mustang), 8K with no red line and 8K with red line (both Shelby application).

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Don Johnston

Are the Shelby 8000 tachs the same ones used in the Mercury Cougar XR7 dash? 8)

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

TA Coupe

Kent you said
"But on the other hand I have seen all CJ Mustangs 4 speed´s from 68 (automatic were without speedometer) with no redline."
You mean cars with automatics didn't get a speedometer?

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Kent

Sorry I meant the tachometer, yes on automatic 68 CJ Mustangs I have never seen a tach. So Jeff you are sure that there are 67 Shelby´s with redline tachs from factory? Why have I never seen a Mustang with this tach but all Shelbys I have seen have a redline? And as I said the part number should be different I can check this later I just have to disassemble them.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Kent on October 29, 2022, 02:03:51 AM
....................So Jeff you are sure that there are 67 Shelby´s with redline tachs from factory?
Why have I never seen a Mustang with this tach but all Shelbys I have seen have a redline?

The two sentences seem to be in conflict with one another. In the first you seem to question a 67 Shelby having the red line while in the second you state "all Shelbys I have seen have a red line"  Maybe you meant to write in the first sentence "... 67 Shelby;s without redline tachs"

Quote from: Kent on October 29, 2022, 02:03:51 AMAnd as I said the part number should be different I can check this later I just have to disassemble them.

How would disassembly help in identifying the part number?

As a note. If you look at the add/delete sheets for these cars you will see that the specifications for the build that starts with a 390 4V and is modified (on paper) to what was the beginning of a 67 Shelby. On the first page or so you will see that a 6K tachometer is listed to match the 390 4V original base (again on paper) but in later pages you will see that it is listed that the cars will be built with a different cluster identified ass C7ZF-10849-Z on non-export cars. "Miles" is the written note in the description.

Kent

Yes I was a little bit off with my English, sorry.

I meant have you ever seen unrestored/ survivor shelby´s with NO redline 8000 rpm

And to see the whole part number I have to take the tach out of the housing but I have seen differences in the part number

Here some more pictures of the gauge pod 67 who can I find out if its a real or repro?