Author Topic: Dry Ice Blasting  (Read 1138 times)

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Dry Ice Blasting
« on: November 09, 2022, 10:29:56 AM »
I'm posting this under the '66 section, since the car in the pictures is a Carryover.

If you are not familiar with dry ice blasting, this is a little quick explanation. It's a cool (no pun intended) process.

Click on the picture or link for more:

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2022/11/dry-ice-blasting-for-cleaning-your.html

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
Re: Dry Ice Blasting
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 11:15:31 AM »
I have seen them use Dry Ice when getting rid of Mold in Attics of Homes many times. It shaves a hair of Wood off and makes everything look new again.  Cool to watch.  I can see how using it on Cars would be better than Media Blasting, it wont heat the metal up or warp it.

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 11:27:23 AM »
I have seen them use Dry Ice when getting rid of Mold in Attics of Homes many times. It shaves a hair of Wood off and makes everything look new again.  Cool to watch.  I can see how using it on Cars would be better than Media Blasting, it wont heat the metal up or warp it.

Done properly, media blasting will not heat the metal up to the point of warping it or actually damaging it in any way.

The dry ice blasting just has a particular purpose. If you need to remove paint or rust, it's not the way to go.

If you want to preserve and/or uncover what may be the original paint and even markings under dirt or undercoating, it's an incredible tool. I think this idea is becoming quite a bit more popular in our hobby as some owners build "drivers" out of cars that are in fairly nice condition for their age and want to retain much of their originality, rather than go the full blown restoration route.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 11:58:20 AM by Brant »
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 11:33:40 AM »
Thanks for sharing this, Brant!

To add some more information - this is my Carryover (6S141).  I had the work completed by a gentleman who specializes in this type of treatment.  He's located in the Boerne TX area just north of San Antonio.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like his contact information.  The owner (Kyle) is a supremely knowledgeable, professional, and all-around great guy.  I couldn't be happier with the results, and I could not give him a higher level of recommendation!

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 02:40:25 PM by Shelby_r_b »
Nothing beats a classic!

SFM6S

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 11:37:38 AM »
Thank you for the information.
Its good to see both of you posting here again.
Joe

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 02:38:18 PM »
The shop owner has allowed me to post his shop / contact information:

Vitesse Dry Ice
Owner: Kyle

5 Upper Cibolo Creek Rd
Boerne, TX  78006
United States