News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Van Nuys Boulevard 1972

Started by deathsled, November 09, 2022, 03:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

honker

427heavens's mention of a top fueler on the street, (reply #14) made me think of this image I have in my files.

Not exactly a full on fueler, but pretty kool ! looking at the cars in the back ground, I would say '60s ?

Mike

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: honker on November 13, 2022, 11:56:58 AM
427heavens's mention of a top fueler on the street, (reply #14) made me think of this image I have in my files.

Not exactly a full on fueler, but pretty kool ! looking at the cars in the back ground, I would say '60s ?

Mike

That's just a typical SoCal street T - note the license plate.

This happened a block south where I lived (the guy in the article lived 3 blocks west) - https://www.hotrodhotline.com/gone-racin-jim-clark-bio#.Y3ElO3bMJPY

A few years before in the year 1963 and just three blocks from my home in West Covina, another racer I knew named Taylor Speers fired up the Brander & Speers dragster on the city street, lost control, and crashed into the fence along the service road to the San Bernardino Freeway killing himself. By then nearly every street in So. Ca. in the 1960's had a garage based race car project of some kind going on, and the cars were going faster and faster. I realized now racing had its dangerous side. My friend Joe Oliphant wound up marrying Taylor Speers widow Jonny, since all neighborhoods knew each other and we were definitely young.

In the small world department I spent the $$ to have Jim Clark's Engine Dynamics tune the 440 I had put in my Road Runner. It wasn't any quicker or faster than my tune so I considered it wasted money.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

honker

98SVT, thanks for your reply and the link, interesting read !

Your connection to it makes it more so !

I had never seen anything like that SoCal street T in my post. Here in Ontario, Canada back in the day you wouldn't last five

minutes on the street with no fenders, even bobbed fenders were an issue !

Mike

Side-Oilers

Mike

Great photo. Dick Nixon behind the wheel?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Side-Oilers

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 13, 2022, 01:01:37 PM

Mike

That's just a typical SoCal street T - note the license plate.

This happened a block south where I lived (the guy in the article lived 3 blocks west) - https://www.hotrodhotline.com/gone-racin-jim-clark-bio#.Y3ElO3bMJPY

A few years before in the year 1963 and just three blocks from my home in West Covina, another racer I knew named Taylor Speers fired up the Brander & Speers dragster on the city street, lost control, and crashed into the fence along the service road to the San Bernardino Freeway killing himself. By then nearly every street in So. Ca. in the 1960's had a garage based race car project of some kind going on, and the cars were going faster and faster. I realized now racing had its dangerous side. My friend Joe Oliphant wound up marrying Taylor Speers widow Jonny, since all neighborhoods knew each other and we were definitely young.

In the small world department I spent the $$ to have Jim Clark's Engine Dynamics tune the 440 I had put in my Road Runner. It wasn't any quicker or faster than my tune so I considered it wasted money.

Brett and 427heaven: Don't forget Bob Jennings Dyno Shop in the Valley, just west of Sepulveda.  I spent a lot of time there doing my magazine tech stories and testing the results on the rollers. Never knew who'd drop by. Ol' Bob knew everyone.

Our hangout on Van Nuys also was the Super Shops (had to get there early for a parking spot.) McDonalds and Jack in the Box were two other hangouts when Super Shops was full, but with not as good of parking lots to be seen in, or to watch the street action from.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

TA Coupe

Talking about Top Fuel Dragsters, there was an article in one of the magazines about someone registering one for the street in Texas back in the 70's. If I remember correctly he didn't have to do that much. I probably still have the magazine but I'm not going to look through 4 or 5 thousand of them to look for it.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.