Author Topic: Return of an old friend #668 2007 Shelby GT  (Read 1453 times)

daltondavid

• SAAC Member
  • 2005 FORD GT #991
    • View Profile
Return of an old friend #668 2007 Shelby GT
« on: November 05, 2022, 03:03:49 PM »
It was late 2006 when I got a call from Tom Flynn the GM of Pacifico Ford in Philadelphia Pa. He wanted to know if I was interested in ordering a new Shelby GT? I said sure and went down the next day with my 9 year old son Dalton. It was an exciting time in the Winkler house for us. We had become deeply entrenched with SAAC and the legal battle with Shelby American. So much so it led me to create this very Forum. (along with the assistance of Dave Mathews and Ron Richards aka Computerworks) things had turned around finally and a settlement between the club and Shelby was reached. The feeling of being able to actually order a Shelby Mustang that was modified at the Shelby facility just like they were done originally was mind blowing and we had to be a part of it! I ordered a white car with silver stripes. The shaker 1000 sound system, 5 speed manual transmission and Leather seats. Dalton was in the passenger seat 90% of the time the car was driven. Another car had been really tugging at my heart. The 2005 Ford GT !! I was a fan from inception. Dalton and I had driven to Connecticut to visit Dave Mathews in the Shelby GT. On our way home we swung down through Long Island. A Lamborghini dealership was buying and selling used Ford GT’s. We saw what eventually  become my Quicksilver 2005 Ford GT ( I still have that car)  the following week my wife decided to attempt driving my Shelby GT while Dalton and I were out of town. She ended up damaging the car. I was sick over it. I posted it for sale and a buyer appeared. I applied those funds to the purchase of the Ford GT and that was that. A couple years passed by and we would see the Shelby GT here and there. One time I was in my 69 Mach1 on I 95 and he pulled alongside me. I yelled over to call me if he ever wants to Sell it! Well it has been 15 years since I sold him that car. And a Facebook message appeared along with a video of the car being struck by a distracted driver in a BMW (I will post that video shortly) he had a dash cam that showed her randomly strike the car parked in front of the Shelby GT and then hit it. He said after the insurance settled we could have it for the salvage price. So last night, Dalton went and picked the car up. 15 years and almost 200,000 miles had passed! But the car is back in our corral! And He hopes to have it back in road worthy condition by spring. The car was maintained extremely well. Even still had the SAAC 2007 dash plaque I put on their with pride a decade and a half ago! To be continued!
Founding father of SAACFORUM.COM

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Return of an old friend #668 2007 Shelby GT
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 04:23:10 PM »
Kool story,  best of luck with your endeavors
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 05:22:31 PM »
Full circle.Enjoy it.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 09:33:02 PM »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 09:46:39 AM »
Nice story, thanks for sharing.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

GT350DAVE

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 11:20:32 AM »
That was and will soon be a very fun car to drive.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 11:43:42 AM »
Nice save, like the GT, I'm certain the barn has room to make this one right.  8)

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

6s341

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 12:48:25 PM »
Very cool...enjoy it as you bring it back to it's former glory!

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 04:04:40 PM »
Godzilla swap……
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI