Author Topic: 1966 Headlight question  (Read 1053 times)

SFcarbuff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
1966 Headlight question
« on: November 14, 2022, 06:19:08 PM »
I have a Mid March Ford built 66.  I have one headlight that is embossed where you feel the FOMOCO script and one that looks etched and can not feel.  Which one is correct, if any?   Thanks

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 Headlight question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 06:31:41 PM »
I have a Mid March Ford built 66.  I have one headlight that is embossed where you feel the FOMOCO script and one that looks etched and can not feel.  Which one is correct, if any?   Thanks
Westinghouse (embossed) was not a typical supplier to the SJ plant as I have not observed or heard of any of my peers observe the embossed bulb on a 66 GT350. GE and TS were the typical suppliers to the SJ plant 65-67. Both bulbs had the FOMOCO etched into the glass although the trademark artwork was slightly different depending on the MFG.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFcarbuff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 09:16:54 PM »
Thanks for the information!

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 09:21:19 PM »
The way I understand it, correct me if I am wrong.

1965 - GE with stamped on the back "Made For Ford" (no etching on the outside of the bulb).
1966 - Tung-Sol: TS wide flute with the etching "Made for Ford" on the outside of the bulb.  I think this is correct for other years too, but I know the size of the bulb is smaller in other years and I don't know for sure if that is still correct for those bulbs.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 12:59:17 PM by silverton_ford »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 09:44:26 PM »
The way I understand it, correct me if I am wrong.

1965 - GE with stamped on the back "Made For Ford" (no etching on the outside of the bulb).
1966 - Tungsten - TS wide flute with the etching "Made for Ford" on the outside of the bulb.  I think this is correct for other years too, but I know the size of the bulb is smaller in other years and I don't know for sure if that is still correct for those bulbs.
No etching before approximately March 65. After that they were etched with the trademark on the face of the bulb. Both GE and TS were used as it pertains to SJ Shelby's 1965-67.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 03:42:12 PM »
To add to this post and elaborate a little more….this is what I have been told and obviously, there are always exceptions to the rule.

Part number 6012 was used by both General Electric(GE) and Tung-Sol(TS).  This bulb is the wide flute lens.  In the late 60’s it was superseded by part number 6014 with a narrow flute due to government requirements for some sort of regulation on the width of the light beam.

To add clarity to my post above the GE bulbs were stamped "Made for Ford" on the back with ink, no stencil on the front.   1966 the TS had both "Fomoco and Made For Ford" etched on the lens of the bulb in the center.

This is probably splitting hairs and could be a matter of opinion and personal findings and documentation of original cars.  I have been told the GE bulbs were early 1965 through approximately April 1965(I know Bob you said March…I don’t doubt that at all.).  During late 1965 and early 1966 they used both GE and TS bulbs and were all TS bulbs by October(+/-) of 1965 for the rest of 1966 year and continuing on.  The embossed or “cats eye” cast in Ford logo bulb wasn’t used until the 70’s.

Another thing to mention is the bulbs had a date code cast in the lens of the bulb.

Also to note just for fun knowledge, Tung-sol was bought out by Wagner on August 19, 1966 and became Wagner/Tung-Sol for a while and then later just Wagner.  After the companies merged, Wagner expanded their brand and basically took over the market making bulbs for all major auto manufacturers.   

Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, this is just what I have been taught and I thought it might be helpful to share.  I do not intend to take anything away from the post, just wanted to add a few things to help further the discussion.  Please don't take my post the wrong way.  Thank you.  :)  I hope this helps.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 05:02:37 PM »
Have found TS on earlier (and spring of 66) but of course we don't know if they were replaced early in their life or we just need more early examples  :)

Some pictures to illustrate some of the comments already posted and to expand a little. Originally posted in thread on CMF

Pic 1- Original GE headlight from a fall 65 SJ example (pics #1-3)

Pic 2-  The cast in details on the lens

Pic 3-  And the MADE FOR FORD on the backside

Pic 4-  From a 66 SJ built Mustang (5R1380xx) a TS example with MADE FOR FORD  over the FoMoCo on lens

Pic 5- From an earlier post here on this site from a possible April 66 built car with the MADE FOR FORD also

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge