News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

350R Mirrors? I.D.

Started by The Black Car, November 16, 2022, 01:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Black Car

Hello to all!  I need some of the experts here to help.  I recently acquired two mirrors in a lot of Shelby parts.  The owner had no idea what the origin of the mirrors, but said his father had a Shelby 350R model in 1967.   Can anyone I.D. these mirrors?  On the base is #DS 100021, which my rear search says that it's a Shelby base.  The mirror chrome "pod" has # DK 100060 on top and an H/L "star logo" on the bottom.   There is original Wimbelton White paint on the bases, under the black.   

Hopefully some knows about these?  Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!!

propayne

That looks a lot like a Raydot racing mirror that was used on the 1968 Mercury Cougar XR7-G.

Raydots were also used on some AMC and Hurst Olds vehicles if I am not mistaken.

To mate the Raydot to a Cougar required a custom designed base.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

98SVT - was 06GT

NOT a Raydot - standard Ford Rotunda mirror as used on street 65-6 GT350

Here is the Raydot as used on Cobra and R Mosels
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

kranky

Actually "Raydyot" not "Raydot"....the mirrors in the initial inquiry are more like a "Talbot" style mirror.  "Talbot" mirrors have a logo/crest on the main body...but these are some sort of copies of the original concept with longer main bodies.

propayne

Photo of the mirror that was installed by Smith on XR7-G Cougars.

Looks very similar to the pics the OP posted.

According to my sources, these were made by Raydyot (thanks for the cx kranky).

Perhaps Royce will chime in.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: kranky on November 16, 2022, 11:39:10 AM
Actually "Raydyot" not "Raydot"....the mirrors in the initial inquiry are more like a "Talbot" style mirror.  "Talbot" mirrors have a logo/crest on the main body...but these are some sort of copies of the original concept with longer main bodies.

Talbots have a stamped/chromed housing and seperate cast base. Early ones had a green logo later they were just a raised stamping.

The Rotunda mirror is a one piece casting.

Last is Ford mirror that was sold under their Rotunda parts brand I don't know who they sourced them from. This kit also included the template to mount them on a 65/66 Mustang
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

s2ms

Agree the mirror body is the same Rotunda style that was stock on 66 GT350, has the same DS - 100021 casting number.
Dave - 6S1757

Krelboyne

It does look like the same mirror as installed on a 1968 XR7-G, but without the remote cable.
Maybe it is a non-remote version as used on the passenger side of the 1969 AMC SC Scrambler?
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

The Black Car

I'm inclined to think these mirrors are from a 69 Hurst/Olds.

But we've learned the bases are the same as Shelby mirrors? I think...

Thanks for all the help!